i want to get a compressor to paint sub boxes and speaker pods. i have a good idea on what gun to get. the eastwood concours. i was wondering what would be the smallest size compressor as far as tank size i should get.

It would be helpful to know the SCFM needed for the gun you are buying first. Most compressors are rated for SCFM @ 90 PSI. Most HVLP guns need around 10 SCFM and you could get by with a 30+ gallon size compressor with small jobs. If you are going to be using it on a lot of small to medium jobs and you don't want to wait on the compressor to "catch up" and provide a consistent pressure and flow then I would go with a 60 -80 gallon size compressor. If you go with the bigger size compressor though most of them are 220V. Just my .02

Before I bought a nice tank, I had a small 10gal compressor from home depot. I was always smoking and waiting for it to catch back up.

Go with a good size the first time around. Now my 10 gal is used exclusively for my nail gun.

It would be helpful to know the SCFM needed for the gun you are buying first. Most compressors are rated for SCFM @ 90 PSI. Most HVLP guns need around 10 SCFM and you could get by with a 30+ gallon size compressor with small jobs. If you are going to be using it on a lot of small to medium jobs and you don't want to wait on the compressor to "catch up" and provide a consistent pressure and flow then I would go with a 60 -80 gallon size compressor. If you go with the bigger size compressor though most of them are 220V. Just my .02

the eastwood concours gun of uses 4cfm @ 29 psi. i don't want to spend 400 or 500$ for a compressor i will only be using twice a year.

Get a HVLP Turbine. Those are pretty much made for painting.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

4 cfm is not enough. And NO ONE runs their compressor at 80psi when painting. 40 PSI is more like it...

im confused? how is 4cfm not enough? the gun uses 4 crm @ 29 psi. this i know. i didn't say anything about 80 psi. i understand a lil on how it should work. i just needed a feel on what size compressor should i be looking @.

25-30 gallon will be sufficient for what you are planning to use it for with that gun. Most compressors that size are still 110V so you can use any wall plug in your house. The gun usually has a regulator right before it enters the gun where you can knock the pressure down. My particular gun uses 25-30 psi depending on base coat or clear coat with a 1.4mm tip.

Archived