Set gain with Clamp Meter?

Carbon

So I'm wondering If I would be better off to set my gains with a clamp meter vs an o-scope because I will not be using the full power of this amp.

I will be running 2 Fi Fully loaded SSD 18s on a DC 5.0k at .5 ohm.

The 5.0k Is way to much for these subs to handle at full tilt. Each sub needs 1500w rms. Im assuming the loaded ones I have can take around 1850 easy.

Would the best way to set this up be to wire everything up and keep turning the gain up with my Fluke true rms clamp until I reach 3500-4kw?

Not too sure if this would work but try setting the gain to the max unclipped level, and then start backing it down until you reach the desired power. That way you'd know for sure you weren't clipping. But like I said I'm not too sure if this would work but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

I would just set the gains with 0db track and run your sub out through a pac-lc1. Then use it with the clamp meter to set it where you want. Make a mark next to the pac where you are happy and there ya go.

edit

Also, .5 ohm is scary shit man, hope you have the electrical.

Im not sure where the lc1 comes into play. technically the dc amp has its own bass control knob.

Basically Depending on what subs I hook up to the amp I will get different gain settings? For some reason I was under the impression that the DD1 and other devices were used to set the amp.

Is the DC knob gain or bass boost? Looks like the description says "bass knob". If it is a gain knob then just use it instead of the pac. The pac lc1 just gets put inline on your rca's going to the amp. really simple.

Once you set gains with the dd-1 it won't matter what subs you hook up.

Just DMM it to a general power output.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Is the DC knob gain or bass boost? Looks like the description says "bass knob". If it is a gain knob then just use it instead of the pac. The pac lc1 just gets put inline on your rca's going to the amp. really simple.

Once you set gains with the dd-1 it won't matter what subs you hook up.

If this is true, you could go from a SMD 18 to a dc level 2 10" and not have to readjust the gain?

^yep...wont change the way the amp behaves in any way. The amplifier doesn't recieve or use any sort of feedback from the sub(s) it is connected to, it simply presents a voltage at its ouput terminals.

If it were me, I would just DD-1 that amp to its full potential with the 0 or -5 db track and then go from there. You'll learn when/if you need to turn it down. An extra 500watts per sub for those ssds is not all that much and after rise, voltage drop, etc you probably wont be seeing that much real power anyways

Team NorthWestSPL

Your'e overthinking this.

1. Buy a pac-lc1 level control for your sub out on your headunit.

2. Connect said level control

3. Set gains at whatever you want 0db, -5db, -10db with pac-lc1 all the way up.

4. Connect subs

5. Connect Clamp and DMM

6. play test tone with the track you used to set gains with pac-lc1 all the way down.

7. Turn up pac-lc1 until you reach desired wattage or your subwoofers get pissed at you. Whichever you are more comfortable with.

just using a dmm on an unloaded amp is a waste of time, unloaded meaning no subs hooked up. That method does not work for figuring output.

I hope that makes sense.

^yep...wont change the way the amp behaves in any way. The amplifier doesn't recieve or use any sort of feedback from the sub(s) it is connected to, it simply presents a voltage at its ouput terminals.

If it were me, I would just DD-1 that amp to its full potential with the 0 or -5 db track and then go from there. You'll learn when/if you need to turn it down. An extra 500watts per sub for those ssds is not all that much and after rise, voltage drop, etc you probably wont be seeing that much real power anyways

Thanks for the info man that helped alot. The subs are d2 so My only realistic wiring option is .5. On strong electrical does any one know what the power output will be of the 5k?

I will probably just set the gain than wind up clamping it.

Just trying not to blow my subs lol

Archived