I originally had everything but the screen covered, but when I bench tested it the remote wouldn't work. I kept trimming until the remote registered... I didn't want to expose the entire module so I left well enough alone. The fiberglass is super thin there because I wanted the screen close to the front. anymore trimming and may have cracked. Half a logo it is.

253AudioSports

210-831-6574

bored today and moved onto the a-pillars. installed 1" silk domes. unidirectional for imaging. all the way down by the windshield. now for those that have been in a newer dodge, they use a weird headliner material. it is also on the pillars. the local walmart has a fabric shop so I thought what the heck. couldn't find a match, but as I was walking out a shirt caught my eye. it was kind of like a thermal shirt and it was black... stroke of luck I think. got it home and it matches perfect. on to the install. what I did was flush the mounting cups into the original pillar. smoothed and filled it with resin. then covered everything with the new fabric. cut the fabric in the cup for the tweeter to fit, then snapped the trim ring over everything. turned out nice I think. looks very factory for a rather large tweeter. let me know what you think. moving onto the dash tomorrow.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

253AudioSports

210-831-6574

thanks for the input. 4" in the dash is going to be tough. building factory based pods. poured the resin tonight. we will see what tomorrow brings when they dry.

253AudioSports

210-831-6574

daily update: worked a little on the center channel when I got home work. removed the factory 3.5" and stripped the frame to use as a template.

001-2.jpg

then I used the dash insert to make a template for the pod itself.

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

ended up with these little guys

005-1.jpg

now the plan for the center channel is two CDT 3/4" imaging tweeters aimed off axis into the center point of each occupant's windshield view.

011.jpg

this will give each front passenger the stereo effect from their seating position (left and right sound) while maintaining 7.1 surround. I will take the templates and triple stack them to give me the height (thickness of the dash trim) that I need. then fiberglass them and countersink these tweeters into the now formed pod. the pod will use the original 3.5" screw holes to secure it. then the dash trim will snap down over the pod.

007.jpg

006-1.jpg

this countersink will allow the tweeters to sit slightly below the dash surface. putting the imaging tweeters in line with the a-pillar tweeters. and so that I don't just have two tweeters sitting on the dash surface looking out of place. more to come on these tomorrow hopefully.

next I have to get these monsters inline on the dash in the original 3.5" mid locations. slight size difference... what do you think?

002-2.jpg

253AudioSports

210-831-6574

A little late to the party but tuned in for sure

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

actually got a customer car out this weekend and touched my project today. took my template and made a plug for my center channel lower section. this will sit below the surface of the dash trim bolted to the dash structure. then the trim will have an upper grille that covers this pod.

glued density foam to the plug. then shaped in so that the center channel tweeters angle up and towards the windshield completing the stereo effect for each passenger in the front.

today001.jpg

today002.jpg

today003.jpg

today004.jpg

then I sanded all the angles. cut the tweeter locations. resin applied to make it solid.

today005.jpg

today006.jpg

today008.jpg

tomorrow, a little finish sanding and I will fire up the oven. I will be vacuum molding lexan over this plug to make the pod. then I will attach the pod to the wood plug and attach it to the dash structure. nice, smooth, lightweight tweeter pod. fill it with polyfill and start on the outer grille. I will post more tomorrow. to late tonight for the forming. input always welcome.

253AudioSports

210-831-6574

Archived