noob low pass frequency questions

hey yall. I have a kenwood head unit. it has a low pass frequency setting for the sub output. My question is this : If I have the low pass frequency set at 80hz on the head unit, Should I have it set at 80hz on the amps crossover as well ? or should turn the low pass crossover on the amp to the highest frequency, then adjust it using the low pass crossover on the head unit ? or set it to through on the head unit and use the low pass crossover on the amp itself ?

It dont matter. I have my head set at 80hz and my amps chilln at like 60. The thing is. Foes ur headunit have a rolloff? A rolloff is say 12db per octave slope rolloff. So for example. If you set ur head at 80hz itll still let 85-90hz threw. Thell just be quieter then lower notes. Almost all headunits and amps have a rolloff. The best way to pock ur high an low passes is do frequency tests/sweeps an keep adjusting till you get it to sound the way you want it to ;)

2003 f150, 2 ab hd 15 on brutus 2400.1, kinetik batt, big 3, knu wire, image dynamics cxs 6.5 with ppi tweets, pioneer 1din and clarion eq.

I think to better answer your question we need exact model numbers of the equipment you are using. A JL Audio amp will have very different EQ section and control when comparing it to a Rockford amp. Also need to know if you are using a vented or sealed enclosure. Using the Head LPF controls allow you to tune from the listening position instead of tuning from where your amp is which when tuning subs isn't as critical and mids and highs.

The quick answer is pick a familiar track start tweaking settings and try it both ways and tune it to what sounds good to you.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I have 2 of these subs, 12s, wired at 2 ohms in a sealed box.http://www.kicker.com/Comp and the amp I'm using is an old school autotek from 1999, before they got bought out by maxxsonics and the quality went downhill. It is the 500.s. I am running it bridged into 2 ohms. Which I am told gives it 500 watts rms output. These amps were considered cheater amps back in the day and were waay under rated I am told. I have the gain off and just a tiny bit off bass boost on. Like +2db for the bass boost that is all, And I never turn the sub woofer level control up more than +5 on the head unit. It goes to +15. here is a link to the amps owners manual http://ebookbrowse.com/autotek-amp-300-s-400-s-500-s-manual-pdf-d303269589 This is all the info I can find on it because its old. and this is my head unit http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FDMsQjSiLwj/p_113KDCX789/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X789.html any tuning suggestions anyone on here can give me is greatly appreciated

I know some of the stuff is a few years old and on the entry level but it is ok stuff in like new condition . And I'm using high quality wiring and signal cables as well.

Archived