Second Skin Audio

Port Area

thefourth

Ok now I understand the peaky/flat response concept. I also know tuning goes according to your preference of music. I've tuned a few HZ lower than reccomendations before but, how does this work for tuning higher? Say you had 35HZ reccomended tuning is it safe to tune higher than 35? If so how much higher? I'm aware the peakiness comes into effect the higher you choose to go.

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

I will be running 8 cubes with about 14.6 per of port area tuned to about 33hz. I was going to go with a bit less but since a will be running 4 sa-12 and it will be walled i don't want to risk port noise since the port will be right behind the drivers side.

My thoughts are, with less air in front of the port it should result in more pressure in front of the port. I have no idea if i am doing that right or not but i guess i will find out.

I usually shoot for the middle, but of course that doesn't always work.

OP, amount of port area can also determine how flat or peaky your box is too. It's a delicate balance.

Not really. Frequency response is determined by box size and tuning vs. driver t/s parameters.

Only way port area will affect frequency response is if it is undersized to the point of not operating correctly (air velocity too high).

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived