Second Skin Audio

How to - Secure Speakers and Subwoofers Correctly - T Nuts / Blind Nuts

In this episode of "Car Audio Fabrication" I share the proper way to utilize T-Nuts in an install.

The advantages of T Nuts are as follows:

• Screws can be removed several times if you need to access the inside of the enclosure with no worry of srtipping or degrading the thread quality (like what would occur with wood screws into wood)
  • More secure mounting, they cannot be pulled loose from the mounting surface as occurs with wood screws.

Other notes:

• Adding a dab of super glue before securing the t nut to the wood can prevent them from falling into the enclosure before installing.
  • Using a size down from the shank of the t nut for your drill hole allows for a tighter squeeze on the nut.
  • Hurricane nuts are also available which "turn" into the mounting surface rather than bite.

I hope you guys enjoy! Discuss below and if you enjoy the content Subscribe!

~Mark

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

The only thing I hate about T-nuts is when the little spikes break off or start to pull out and get bent. Then they don't bite the wood anymore and start spinning. I've seen it happen with furniture, especially if the threads get trashed.

I sometimes beat mine in with a mallet, or I do the method in the video. Just depends on if the screw/bolt length and also whatever other tools I have around.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

The only thing I hate about T-nuts is when the little spikes break off or start to pull out and get bent. Then they don't bite the wood anymore and start spinning. I've seen it happen with furniture, especially if the threads get trashed.

I sometimes beat mine in with a mallet, or I do the method in the video. Just depends on if the screw/bolt length and also whatever other tools I have around.

I would imagine with a harder wood (hahah harder wood) they may have more issues with the spikes, but I have yet to see them break off when utilized with MDF.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Archived