Scion XB RS2 Wall Install Build

I'm starting a topic for the progress of my 05 Scion XB RS2 wall with (4) RE Audio SR Pro 12" subs.

This is my first time ever doing this. I've been fortunate to have friends that own a car audio here in town that helped me out greatly, not only by their advise, but lending of the shop and their time.

The 1st step I did was removed everything from the back seat on back. I removed the seats, the seat brackets, spare tire & tire container along with the ice cooler (yes the XBs came with a cooler built in).

I then took 2x4's and cut the front one where the seat bracket was at, 38" wide and used 2.5" bolts to screw through the 2x4 into the factory holes the seat bracket was in. From there I just added 2x4s to create a sturdy base as you see form below. I used 2.5" screws to secure the top 2x4s to the bottoms 2x4s.

image-5.jpeg

I then took card board and made a template and traced it on 3/4" MDF to make my platform the speaker box will be mounted to. The picture below does not show screws in the platform, but I used close to 25 screws to secure the platform base to the 2x4s.

image-6.jpeg

The speaker box itself was built as 2 separate boxes. Once they were completed (and the top of the top box was still off) a large hole was cut in the center so it was one big flowing box.

The inside of the box was caulked with 3 tubes of liquid nail.

We left about 3" lip of MDF double layered arounf the inside of the hole to drill screws into for durability. After the 2 boxes were screwed together and the top of the top box was put on, I applied 2 layers of fiberglass resin to the 3" outter lip left inside the box. We made braces for each of the corners and they were caulked and had 2 layers of fiberglass resin applied to the corners and everywhere boards butted together.

The box was put into the car from through the hatch.

image-24.jpeg

Another Side view of the car and box.

image-5.jpeg

We put a 1/2" MDF face plate on the box, cut the port holes and added the speakers for a test fitting.

image-13.jpeg

We then began laying the 1/2" foam padding on the front of the wall. we left 2" of foam out past the door seals to tuck it tightly in the door seals.

image-1.jpeg

image-17.jpeg

I will post more pics tomorrow. Them pictures will include the wrapped wall and the fiberglass amp rack.

What's the padding for?

I'll keep an eye for the pics tomorrow

I used the padding to seal off the wall. The padding is tucked inside the metal ridge the door seals snaps into. It made a huge difference in the pressure afterwards.

Never seen it done like that

I bet it helps it to sound better

What's the padding for?

I'll keep an eye for the pics tomorrow

I used the padding to seal off the wall. The padding is tucked inside the metal ridge the door seals snaps into. It made a huge difference in the pressure afterwards.

Never seen it done like that

I bet it helps it to sound better

Noelito,

Yes it does make it sound better. It helps seal off the rear hatch area which produces more pressure in the front of the car.

You said you're running all hybrid mids/highs... Is that hybrid audio technologies? And what amps are gonna be used for the subs?

Ad also what is the sq inch of port area per foot? Looks great man i bet it sounds good too :)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

Archived