Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Need Box help! for single 12" L7 in a Lexus IS250/350


Chance

Recommended Posts

Posted

Guys I was trying see if someone could help me with a ported box to fit in my Lexus I250?

I am going to run a single 12" Kicker L7 4ohm dvc sub. Trunk space I have is limited to 30.5" (w) x 16" (h) x 16" +/- (depth)

here are the specs for the sub:

Model: 12 L7
Nominal Impedance [Zn], ohm [per coil] 2 or 4
Resonance Frequency [fs], Hz 34
Power Handling Watts, Peak (RMS) 1500 (750
Total Q-Factor [Qts] .513
Equivalent Volume [Vas], ft 2.2 (62.5)
3
(L)
Outer Frame Dimension, in (cm) 12 9/16 (31.9)
Mounting Depth, in (cm) 6 11/16 (16.9)
I listen to mostly R & B, rap, rock mainstream type music. Looking for it to be as loud/deep hard hitting as possible.
ANy help would be greatful!!!
Posted

Here is a suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35 Hz
Vb = 2.3 ft^3

External Height = 14 in
External Width = 30 in
External Depth = 16.5 in

Port Width = 2 3/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front = 26 1/2 x 12 1/2
Back = 30 x 12 1/2

Left & Right Sides:
Side 1 = 15 x 12 1/2
Side 2 = 15 3/4 x 12 1/2

Top & Bottom = 30 x 16 1/2

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 12 1/4 x 12 1/2
Extension = 9 1/2 x 12 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

L715SFPF.jpg


Important notes:

- The 45s if you want to do them are 2 1/2" wide except the one/ones inside the port, if you want that let me know.

- All trunk boxes built outside the car need to fit in their way in not just have the right dimensions.

- The port needs 2 1/4" of free airspace in front of it for proper operation.

- Setting your amp subsonic filter to 28Hz is suggested.

Posted

Thanks!!! I will give it a go.

And yes let me know all the 45s cut outs as well!

Thanks

Posted

Also, should I face the sub and port towards the front, so it could breathe threw the ski port of the rear seat? If so, should I wall the enclousure on the front side(hope that makes since)?

Posted

Ok, the 45 inside the port is done in a size that makes the witdth at the turn the same as elsewhere but never less:

turn.jpg

If not sealing off the best way to aim the sub / port is backwards (in most cases), as stated above the port needs 2 1/4" of clearance in front of it at least regardless of the orientation. Having said that it's best to experiment how you place your box, also you can also choose either port driver's side or port passenger's side to seek for best results.

If you are building for the first time you may want to read the following:


Box building tips:

1) Build a cardboard dummy box to see if it fits perfectly in the way in and if you can close the trunk lid without problems.

2) use Titebond II wood glue and MDF/Drywall screws and once it dried apply silicone caulk to avoid any potential leaks.

3) you can get your MDF wood cutted at Home depot, just need a jigsaw to finish the job.

Posted

Thanks JoeX for the tips??

Yes I have plenty of room for the box getting in and out. And also noticed, that I have a little more space that I can use than I remembered. I could go aswide as 31" x high as 17.5" (h) x 19" depth. If something in those deminsions would work better? Lmk

Posted

For the depth you must take in to account the port clearance which is 2 3/4" of free airspace in front if the port.

Anyways if you listen to mainstream stuff probably you want the box no much larger than this, if the box is made larger it will peak, you will gain output but loose musicality and tightness, it's a balance that really depends on personal taste, also if done too tall airflow around the box will lessen in case it gets mounted firing backwards, if you would like a larger net I can increase it, just let me know.

Posted

Thanks again JoeX!!! I will keep everything as is for now bc I trust you been at this way longer than me. I tried a small setup in the box sz was 15.25" (h) x 18.25" (w) x 18 (L) port like 2" or so. But it sound pretty decent so I know this box is gonna slam! I am going to build it Sunday or Monday.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 558 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...