Black & Decker battery maintainer - great buy for the price

Product: Battery Maintainer
Manufactured by: Black&Decker
Purchased/recieved from: Home Depot

I picked up a 1a charger from home depot the other day since I have a couple batteries that I need to keep charged and don't feel like dragging out the big charger.

I am referring to this guy

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Battery-Maintainer-BM3B/202710992#.UXBxLrXCZ8E

It works exactly as described. I measured 1 amp of output from it, the charger will charge up to 14.6 then drop into float mode at 13.5, which is what you want for AGM type batteries. It comes with a couple attachments - easy clamps, cigarette lighter plug, and ring terminals. It will also charge 6v batteries, but I didn't have any to test with.

Overall, the unit feels cheap, but nothing that makes me worry about it breaking. Keep in mind this is only a $20 charger. It's not going to be built like a nice ctek or anything.

Right now I have it mounted to some shelves in my garage. It doesn't get warm or do anything spectacular for that matter. It just sits there and the little green light on the bottom will go from blinking to a solid color when it completes the charge and goes into float mode.

Overall, I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. Price is it's strongest point and it does what it's supposed to. The connection that attaches the charger to the other adapters it comes with feels a little bit cheap, but it hasn't come apart when I didn't want it to. If you are on a budget and looking for a basic charger this should suit your needs well. It won't charge large or heavily discharged batteries, but it works well for topping off & maintenance.

WP_002620_zps7a742a08.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I cut up the clamps that came with it to use for a different project. For what it's worth: they are 16ga copper. Not aluminum, not cca, but copper. That's re-assuring :D

Archived