lol my ground wire had almost jumped out from the amp.. what could had happened?

When i first started out in sound systems about 2 years ago i found my earth cable completely disconnected not touching anything, yet amp was still playing, luckily rather then draw earth through the RCA it actually did it through the seat. As the amp was screwed to the back of the seat which actually has a metal plate in it which is then connected to the chassis at some point.

Lots of people with interference issues have created ground loops by securing their amps to such things or using metal screws going into grounded material. :)

I have actually mounted that amp to the back of the rear seat's and it was some sort of metal (coulden use "normal" screws) so i am using some sort of self drilling screws that's metal. So will that help the amp to get an better ground when i am using a ground wire to?

Electricity takes the path of least resistance and that is a shitty way to ground anything in a 12v system so I doubt it will help so much as create a ground loop. When mounting to metal you don't want the screw touching the amp directly, it's best to fabricate a mounting solution that isn't grounded at the mount points. All screws are going to be conductive, assume all the metal in your car is grounded, assume one point for all grounds is best.

I'm gonna hate

Wicks, you're quite quickly becoming a solid source of knowledge on smd.

All the posts you make that I've seen are well thought out and informative. Great job man :drinks:

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

When i first started out in sound systems about 2 years ago i found my earth cable completely disconnected not touching anything, yet amp was still playing, luckily rather then draw earth through the RCA it actually did it through the seat. As the amp was screwed to the back of the seat which actually has a metal plate in it which is then connected to the chassis at some point.

Lots of people with interference issues have created ground loops by securing their amps to such things or using metal screws going into grounded material. :)

I have actually mounted that amp to the back of the rear seat's and it was some sort of metal (coulden use "normal" screws) so i am using some sort of self drilling screws that's metal. So will that help the amp to get an better ground when i am using a ground wire to?

Electricity takes the path of least resistance and that is a shitty way to ground anything in a 12v system so I doubt it will help so much as create a ground loop. When mounting to metal you don't want the screw touching the amp directly, it's best to fabricate a mounting solution that isn't grounded at the mount points. All screws are going to be conductive, assume all the metal in your car is grounded, assume one point for all grounds is best.

yeah i have all the wiring grounded to the same place :P and directly under the amp its some sort of carpet so the amp is not touching the metal.

yeah i have all the wiring grounded to the same place :P and directly under the amp its some sort of carpet so the amp is not touching the metal.

If you have screws through the mounting feet and into the metal it sure is. Find some plastic washers for even the most basic isolation, it can't hurt.

I'm gonna hate

All the posts you make that I've seen are well thought out and informative. Great job man :drinks:

I know, my rep/post ratio has been getting shittier. We ninja each other like twice a day :D

I'm gonna hate

If you have screws through the mounting feet and into the metal it sure is. Find some plastic washers for even the most basic isolation, it can't hurt.

that is true :)

I know, my rep/post ratio has been getting shittier. We ninja each other like twice a day :D

LOL, thanks guys, much appreciated :drinks:

Just trying to help.

I like to answer questions with facts so that the OP understands the issue afterwards rather than just a "yes/no" direction.

You know that ole saying, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime..." :D

I like this place and if we can help each other increase the general knowledge base then it just makes it better.

:good:

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

LOL, thanks guys, much appreciated :drinks:

Just trying to help.

I like to answer questions with facts so that the OP understands the issue afterwards rather than just a "yes/no" direction.

You know that ole saying, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime..." :D

I like this place and if we can help each other increase the general knowledge base then it just makes it better.

:good:

If everybody thought like this nobody would ever encounter the same problem twice!

I try not only to give an answer but also my thinking or experience that led me to it.

I'm gonna hate

Archived