Weird voltage problems with amp on

Ok I'm hoping this is the right area for this. I made the mistake on buying a refurbished pd2000.1. That being said ill get to the problem. I have it wired to a rear optima yellowtop, good solid ground in the back, knu 0 big 3 and 0 ran to the back battery and a 0 ground from battery to chassis. I have a powermax alternator. Suppose to be a 250 amp. But I know it isn't. My alt went out and due to budget this was what I ended up with. Another mistake I know. Anyways the amp has been running pretty decent the past week or so, gains set with dmm to about 1200 rms to a pair of OA 18s. The only issue is that the amp does get hot after a while and not even at full tilt. The other day I started my truck to turn it around and voltage was struggling to stay at 11 volts at idle. Everything was blinking like crazy, radio, interior lights and the "on" light for my Rockford mids amp. I turned the radio off and voltage returned to 14+. I moved my truck and went to check the amp with the truck off. It was really hot, I couldn't hardly touch it it was so hot. I took the fuses out and without that amp on everything is fine. But with it powered voltage is awful and truck struggles to support it even with volume on 0. Is this a electrical issue or is the amp messed up? I'm sorry this post is so random, just want to know what's going on so I can contact the seller and try for a refund. Btw this is my second pd2k in the last two months, first smoked really bad the first day. Any other info that I missed I'll be happy to supply.

If nothing is shorted out anywhere.... My guess would be a bad amp. Even though it's considered a refurb you never know how it was treated before hand

Archived