HO Alternator help info questions etc.

Ok, so i have no clue when it comes to alternators. as far as how they work, how many amps i will need etc.

so i have a few questions because i have been told many different things by many different people which just further confuses me.

ok, first, i have been told that if i put an alternator in excess over 140amp in my truck it would fry all my electrical and cause a fire. is this true, I do know that yes of course i need to do the big 3 but what about all the other wires that are in the factory fuse blocks etc. I was told it would fry all of that as well. That i need to do a voltage regulator to upgrade. is this true for a 12v system or only when you go upto 16v.

mechman stated they sell 370amp alts that are just bolt in replacements, so there is some confusion. (yes i know big 3 is needed)

and then if that is the case, are all HO alts bolt in compatible?

i know i need to upgrade it but i dont want to put one in and fry anything.

then second would be i was told an alt only puts out the power it is being requested to put out(so to say).

so then if im not pulling say 300 amps it wont put out 300amps....Correct??

then finally, if i plan on running 4 amps with a combined total of 400amps possibly being pulled, plus say about 20 more amps in accessory summer and winter time heater/ac, hid etc, probably running 500amps max at any given time. 2-3 kinetik hc2400. HOw big of an alternator do i need.

And then even then when all is said and done, everything installed, system wont be ran more then about 1/2 on a daily basis so doesnt that also factor in.

Thanks very much for your help/advice

Guest DC Power Kyle

ok, first, i have been told that if i put an alternator in excess over 140amp in my truck it would fry all my electrical and cause a fire. is this true, I do know that yes of course i need to do the big 3 but what about all the other wires that are in the factory fuse blocks etc. I was told it would fry all of that as well. That i need to do a voltage regulator to upgrade. is this true for a 12v system or only when you go upto 16v.

If it fried electronics when we sold high output alternators, we wouldn't be in business. Since you do the Big 3 the electricity takes the path of least resistance so your factory wires don't get overworked.

mechman stated they sell 370amp alts that are just bolt in replacements, so there is some confusion. (yes i know big 3 is needed)

and then if that is the case, are all HO alts bolt in compatible?

not all are but if a reputable company says it is, then it's most likely a bolt in.

then second would be i was told an alt only puts out the power it is being requested to put out(so to say).

so then if im not pulling say 300 amps it wont put out 300amps....Correct??

All alternators are like this. It's like having a 1700 horse power engine. You might not always use 1700 horse power, but it's there when you need it. If it put out full output all the time your batteries would explode and so would your fuses, wiring, etc.

then finally, if i plan on running 4 amps with a combined total of 400amps possibly being pulled, plus say about 20 more amps in accessory summer and winter time heater/ac, hid etc, probably running 500amps max at any given time. 2-3 kinetik hc2400. HOw big of an alternator do i need.

A good 270 alternator with awesome idle output would keep you going fairly well. Then if you need more headroom, get a dual bracket and a secondary alternator.

Archived