2000 Impala mini build - mids & highs

Hey everyone, been a fan of the site and a huge lurker for a while now. Figured I would finally upload a build log to show everything.

First off, I'll start with my old setup. 1 15" L7 d2 on a SAX-1200d, and one pair of Kicker KS 650.2 components on a SAX 125.2

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

The L7 blew a coil so time for something new, and not as expensive.

Picked up a SA12 d4 and made a quick box out of the leftover scrap wood from the last box. 1 ft3 after displacement.

IMG_0852.jpgIMG_0842.jpg

Just left it bare since I'm not planning on keeping it to long.

I had my SAX 100.4 laying around my house for almost a year because Ch 1 & 2 went out. I figured It needed to be sent in and be serviced. Turns out it just needed the 1/10, 12/24 selector switches cleaned! When I started having problems with 100.4 I removed my 6x9s and put the 125.2 on just passive setup up front. 6x9s were just being thrashed anyways.

IMG_2253.jpg

Here's whats replacing the old kicker KS 650.2

IMG_2077.jpg

1 mid in each door, tweets on the dash, and the plan was to have the other pair of mids in the kick but I haven't started on that project yet. Didn't really want to cut up door panels for my first build.

that's the equipment. Now the brackets.

Pretty much had to make new brackets because I would've had to grind away to much of the original brackets to fit the speaker. Plus, I wanted to. lol

IMG_2397.jpg

Made these base plates with a jasper jig. trying to keep same footprint as original brackets. Lol I had an already ruined bit as you can see on that first one I made.

IMG_2393.jpg

Can't really see in pic but I had to cut about a 10 degree angle so the base would sit flat on the door and mounting holes.

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

Using an old fashioned hand saw was the only way I could figure out how to cut that angle. Messed up my first attempt and had to re cut and glue another one.

Brackets Glued up

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

Painted them with Rustoleum bed liner. That stuff is so easy to work with and covers everything.

IMG_2446.jpg

The speakers had to be mounted a certain way so the terminal was at skinniest part for clearance. Weird how the logos aren't aligned.

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

I was able to buy longer bolts and use the existing mounting holes.

Good thing I measured a hundred times because they just barely fit in there.

IMG_2572.jpg

That's it for the mids. Hopefully I can fit the other two seleniums in the kicks. Until then I got the doors and two tweeters off 100.4

Liking the build man. Keep up the work and remember to feed the pic hungry masses. :D

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

IMG_0870.jpg

Here's the sub in the 1 ft3, after displacement, sealed box. I will be starting to build a new one soon. It sounds really good though and gets pretty loud for only 700 watts. Thinking of using some fiber fill in it if the new box takes a while.

The amps will be going on the side, or top, of the new enclosure once that's built.

Old vs New

IMG_2364.jpg

Old vs New

IMG_2300.jpg

Checking placement for the super tweeters. I didn't realize how damn big they were though. Had to make spacers to lift them up out of the dash.

IMG_2075-2.jpg

Got the tweeters up in the dash. In the only spot they could fit.

IMG_2336.jpg

Really tricky to mount these since the magnet is just barely smaller than the rest of it. Just made a bunch of test cuts to figure out the perfect shape to slide it in and not show the hole. also made a mdf spacer and painted it with bed liner. It matches pretty good. I had to get longer screws than ones that came with for the back. a little bed liner on a cue tip and you can't even tell, don't have a pic tho.

IMG_2348.jpg

That was a PITA to get that dash piece with the tweeters into position. It got jammed in there wrong and was stuck for about an hour. So that's about it for now. Should be starting new box soon. Also have two more mids to squeeze in somewhere

Archived