Sonic Electronix

What im trying to prove is that high voltage is dangerous. Hundreds of volts in a source such as batteries in cars do massive amounts of damage. You will NOT prove me wrong on this, no matter what you try to bring in saying high voltage isn't dangerous.

In regards to tasers, the actual tasing part is AC. It does not come out as DC, whether it is in DC again after the voltage step-up or not. We all know that the output of a taser pulses. If it has a frequency of turning on and off, it is AC, even if it is DC before it is turned on and off. What makes it "safe" at such high voltages is that the pulse width is so short that the average voltage is very low. If you want some more reading on this, here is a good link:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gadgets/how-a-taser-works/2

Regardless, a taser is completely different than hundreds of volts DC from a source with low internal resistance and your argument doesn't make sense because a taser is definitely not 50,000v DC

Now, in regards to wall AC being safe, I never said this. I never said being AC made it safe by default, but cases of being AC, such as a taser, is safer. Some other high frequencies can be more safe, but there isn't a one source fits all. For your viewing pleasure, here is a graph of electric hazards and the human body, which compares what current keeps you from being able to let go and the threshold of sensation to frequency.

This shows a little of what I was meaning by things change by frequency, so some super high frequency things are a bit safer than 60Hz, which as you can see, is about the worst frequency you can have.

High voltage is not always dangerous jesus christ. I can't put it any other way. Read a book. Current kills you. Of course hundreds of volts from a bank of batteries will hurt and do damage, they are made to supply a lot of current. You know, that thing that kills people? Regardless if they pulse or not, a source turning on and off does not make it AC. Do you actually think that? If I have an led on a switch and I turn it on and off really fast is that AC? It's still DC. Alternating is not turning on and off. I give up. My argument doesn't make sense because you don't know what you're saying. Even thousands of volts DC would not do shit either if the current was very small. A taser is proof it this. Fuck it, I'm out.

Oh and by the way, a taser is proof of this. A taser is simply an electric circuit that produces high voltage low current power.

There is many other circuits like it. It most definitely is 50000v, you can get one million volt tasers. The fact our skin has a high resistance and pulls the voltage down some makes no difference.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

What im trying to prove is that high voltage is dangerous. Hundreds of volts in a source such as batteries in cars do massive amounts of damage. You will NOT prove me wrong on this, no matter what you try to bring in saying high voltage isn't dangerous.

In regards to tasers, the actual tasing part is AC. It does not come out as DC, whether it is in DC again after the voltage step-up or not. We all know that the output of a taser pulses. If it has a frequency of turning on and off, it is AC, even if it is DC before it is turned on and off. What makes it "safe" at such high voltages is that the pulse width is so short that the average voltage is very low. If you want some more reading on this, here is a good link:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gadgets/how-a-taser-works/2

Regardless, a taser is completely different than hundreds of volts DC from a source with low internal resistance and your argument doesn't make sense because a taser is definitely not 50,000v DC

Now, in regards to wall AC being safe, I never said this. I never said being AC made it safe by default, but cases of being AC, such as a taser, is safer. Some other high frequencies can be more safe, but there isn't a one source fits all. For your viewing pleasure, here is a graph of electric hazards and the human body, which compares what current keeps you from being able to let go and the threshold of sensation to frequency.

This shows a little of what I was meaning by things change by frequency, so some super high frequency things are a bit safer than 60Hz, which as you can see, is about the worst frequency you can have.

High voltage is not always dangerous jesus christ. I can't put it any other way. Read a book. Current kills you. Of course hundreds of volts from a bank of batteries will hurt and do damage, they are made to supply a lot of current. You know, that thing that kills people? Regardless if they pulse or not, a source turning on and off does not make it AC. Do you actually think that? If I have an led on a switch and I turn it on and off really fast is that AC? It's still DC. Alternating is not turning on and off. I give up. My argument doesn't make sense because you don't know what you're saying. Even thousands of volts DC would not do shit either if the current was very small. A taser is proof it this. Fuck it, I'm out.

Oh and by the way, a taser is proof of this. A taser is simply an electric circuit that produces high voltage low current power.

There is many other circuits like it. It most definitely is 50000v, you can get one million volt tasers. The fact our skin has a high resistance and pulls the voltage down some makes no difference.

I don't see what you are trying to accomplish here. I was trying to further the op's question by saying that high voltage dc batteries like what are used in cars are dangerous. You seem to agree with this. I agree that current kills you, I have never said otherwise. What I have been saying is that if you get hit with high voltage and there isn't a relative high current associated, something else is going on. This is ohms law. V = I*R. Since a taser obviously doesn't increase the skin resistance of a human to super high levels, it should be obvious to anyone that something else is going on. No matter if you want to talk about the technicalities of if a PWM is AC or DC, you end up with a voltage that the average of is much less than the peak value. I present a quote from the article I presented that I doubt you looked at:

The target's body is never exposed to the 50 kV. The X26--the model commonly used by police departments--delivers a peak voltage of 1200 V to the body. Once the barbs establish a circuit, the gun generates a series of 100-microsecond pulses at a rate of 19 per second. Each pulse carries 100 microcoulombs of charge, so the average current is 1.9 milliamperes. To force the muscles to contract without risking electrocution, the signal was designed to exploit the difference between heart muscle and skeletal muscle.

So, a taser is nothing like a constant 50kv DC source. A battery is (reasonably) constant voltage. They are not similar at all. A taser should have never been brought up in this conversation. So since we all realize they are nothing like each other, lets put it to rest.

Awesome, glad thats over.

Anyways, I would love to see some amps that could run off the main power from an electric car. Sure it would lower the range a bit but lets look at this a bit. The lowest tesla model s model has a capacity of 60 kwh. This gives it a range of 230 miles at 55 mph according to the tesla website. Lets make some big assumptions just to make this easier, it will be close enough. So 230 miles is what, say 4 hours of use on a charge? Lets just imagine what would happen if you put a stereo on it that pulled say 1kw and you banged on it constantly for all 4 hours. You would effectively leave only around 56 khw for the rest of the car's functionality. You are only cutting out about 7% of the range, which isn't really that significant. Now 1kw for an amp may not be a lot for many of us but you also have to think that this is constant use. A lot of music doesn't have a constant bassline which would be drawing power the entire time. So realistically IMO, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to most drivers of an electric car such as the model S, especially as battery capacity increases. Now maybe if you were going on a long trip you might want to squeeze out as much as you can, but then you could just keep the volume down. Any day where it wasn't such a big deal you could beat on it all you wanted.

However, I will still hold to saying that some other system for getting power would have to be developed if doing installs is to stay a DIY thing with hundreds of volts on the table. (ill go ahead and clarify that I'm talking about a battery designed to put out a lot of power just incase anyone still thinks we are trying to put a sub in a taser) Maybe if some kind of general plug enters production for a direct connection to the battery that is actually accessible. But going in running wires directly to any part of the systems without something extremely easy and idiot-proof to cut power is just asking for trouble. Wires also couldn't be attached to the amp in the same way as they currently are. However I guess all of these things are just engineering problems. They are possible, just need developed, and there likely isn't yet enough of market for electric cars and high power amps.

• 2 years later...

Archived