Second Skin Audio

BMW 540i System: 4 12's SQL Setup Log/Questions

Hey forum! I got my first car recently (01 540i) and Im ready to do something with the sound system. My plans are 4 Kenwood W3012 woofers in the trunk. I know these arent the best in game but I dont wanna purchase other woofers yet as I already own these and Im doing a budget setup as a proof of concept to myself and friends. Ill do some JBL components in the stock BMW 3 way location.

Only issues I came up with is the lack of space to build a ported box for the 4 woofers. The box has to be sealed at around 4.1-4.3 ft^3. My question is is better to keep the 4 woofers sealed or drop two of them and build a good ported box for 2 of them? Im holding back from the porting only two as seeing as these woofers arent really designed to hit some low notes around 33 hertz. My needs for the sound output of this box is mostly Hip Hop, Dubstep with sometimes the need for rock/metal. I want the box to be loud for what it is and not in much need for SQ.

As for power, the woofers require 400 watts each and Ill be running a Belva BB5000D at around 2500-3000 watts RMS @ 1 ohms. I know this is overkill for the woofers but Im keeping the gain down and I want this amp now to be ready for when i decide to upgrade to something of high quality. Keep in mind Im a freshly entered college student so all the equipment is mostly budget equipment for the time being.

If you guys could give me your thoughts and recommendations on how to make this the best it can be that'd be great. Ill post some car picks to show you what Im working with. I've heard great advice from this forum. Thanks in advance!

Archived