Jessica Posted May 11, 2013 Report Posted May 11, 2013 Just a little heads up for you guys out there, Never trust factory wiring in your rides. Here is a good example of why you should run your own wiring to make sure you don't risk damaging your equipment My H/U switched power wire, the one the radio actually uses for it's power source not the memory wire, will read 12.8v (car off) until I turn on the blower motor for the heater. Then it drops to 11.8v. With the car running I see 14.5 and it will drop to 13.7 with the fan on. Now, before you start blaming my battery, note that I can turn on the headlights, roll up and down windows and whatever I want and I get no drop in voltage. This same car had a skar 1500 @ 1ohm and would only drop to 13's full tilt, no way a blower motor is pulling more current and that amp. I am using the VM-1 to check this too. The point of this thread is to show that manufactures don't always have car audio enthusiasts in mind when they wire things. As you can see from my vehicle, they somehow managed wire it in a way that the fan effects the voltage for the h/u. This of course could cause noise in the signal, or other issues. I'm not asking everyone to go throw a volt meter on the power lead to their headunits, but It's isn't a bad idea to test this type of thing. One can never be too safe. I for one, will be redoing some electrical very soon. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Quiet Posted May 11, 2013 Report Posted May 11, 2013 I never have used factory HU power or ground... And that is exactly why. It's not meant for transient demand and eventually you're fighting for current somewhere upstream in the power harness and fuse panel. It's not like you need anything larger than 14 gauge for HU power so it's dirt cheap to do... no excuse not to. 2007 Pacifica Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.
hdorre Posted May 11, 2013 Report Posted May 11, 2013 Mine is the same way. The only factory wires I used were ACC and the dimmer iirc. I ran my own power from batt and grounded to the frame, and use RCAs lol On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said: On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said: It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15 LMFAO so true Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build) Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium 2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power My Official Feedback Thread
Jessica Posted May 11, 2013 Author Report Posted May 11, 2013 Mine is the same way. The only factory wires I used were ACC and the dimmer iirc. I ran my own power from batt and grounded to the frame, and use RCAs lol What do you mean, "use RCA's"? I think you are trying to add to the info right? Saying don't use speaker level outputs? (I hope you arent trying to tell me to use rcas lol) Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
hdorre Posted May 11, 2013 Report Posted May 11, 2013 I meant "used" RCAs. I'm not telling you to use RCAs instead of speaker level outputs.. I personally dont care what you use On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said: On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said: It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15 LMFAO so true Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build) Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium 2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power My Official Feedback Thread
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.