How to set gains with DD-1 when using a DSP

I'm using a JBL MS-8 and a JL HD900/5 and i'm wondering how to properly set the gains on HD900/5. As per the manual for the MS-8, i'm calibrating with the volume of the MS-8 at -40db and setting my HU volume at 30 (it maxes at 40, 3/4). After calibration I jack the volume of the MS-8 back up to -6 where most people seem to recommend it stay at.

What i'm wondering, is how I set the gains on the HD900/5. For some reason, when I try it doesn't detect any distortion even with the gains cranked all the way it which doesn't seem possible. I have the speakers unhooked while trying to detect the distortion which I hope is correct. The HD900/5 is a PITA with those wierd cable connectors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have the xovers set properly on you 900/5? I have that same amp and picked up distortion on it no problems.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1