98's Lifted 98 Grand Cherokee Build

I guess we start off at the beginning with the Heep as it sat when I first purchased it.

I had already removed the ugly azz factory running boards they put on for the grandmas and soccer moms. No pics with them on they are long gone.

Along with my 98 Neon I had at the time as well.

Picture039_zps4a9612b1.jpg

Picture038_zpsbd72ebd1.jpg

Flexing it a bit on stock suspension LOL

Picture035_zpsa7c77a2c.jpg

Picture034_zpsf6358ee2.jpg

Picture023_zpsd66ac821.jpg

Picture022_zps208bfef8.jpg

Picture021_zps7ee36acd.jpg

Picture020_zpsafd09f4f.jpg

One of the first mods I did before I sold it was tint the tail lights. Not a very good picture of them in a dark basement. Just washed them and cleaned them up well and did one nice coat on them. They seem to have faded to not as dark anymore after a few years of sun.

Picture045_zps1aa314c8.jpg

I bought it for $500 needing a rebuilt rear axle and decided to swap a junkyard axle in rather than rebuild. Dumb idea because turns out the "tested good" rear axle I bought from the JY had failing bearings in it as well (WTF). So she sat for a year or so while I just drove my Neon.

I ended up selling it to my buddy and he bought and had installed the lift wheels and tires I wanted to get for it. I ended up moving across the country from WI to AZ and sold my Neon before I left WI.

Being without a vehicle when he decided to sell it, I bought it back. He had the lift wheels and tires installed that I wanted to originally get for it when it was mine so that was a plus buying it back and the rear axle had obviously been rebuilt too.

This is how it was when I bought it back.

013.jpg

014.jpg

She was leaking every fluid possible other than diff fluid and the tcase wasnt leaking but she leaked coolant, oil, tranny fluid. She was in need of some TLC.

I hated the chrome around the headlights so I scuffed the chrome plastic trim up with a scotchbrite pad, masked them off and sprayed the trim with Krylon for plastics Gloss Black. MUCH better.

Jeep002.jpg

Jeep003.jpg

Jeep004.jpg

Jeep005.jpg

Also forgot to mention she had 4 blown shocks when I bought her and replaced with Bilstein 5100s as soon as she got back to AZ with me.

35LiftSprings003.jpg

You can kind of see the shiny front shock tube in this pic I had already painted the wheel weights with some of the left over Krylon Gloss Black. Much better blend to match the rim color instead of seeing big azz silver wheel weights on the rim edge.

Jeep006.jpg

At some point soon after the last pic I had taken a black paint pen to the white tire lettering and had the front windows tinted with 18% film to match the factory rear tinted glass (actually I think the factory tint is 20% but close enough of a match).

Tint002.jpg

Tint003.jpg

And some crappy quality camera phone pics of a random stocker I saw one day while heading out to wheel a little bit.

MyZJvsstockZJ1.jpg

MyZJvsstockZJ2.jpg

I bought it for $500 needing a rebuilt rear axle and decided to swap a junkyard axle in rather than rebuild. Dumb idea because turns out the "tested good" rear axle I bought from the JY had failing bearings in it as well (WTF). So she sat for a year or so while I just drove my Neon.

I ended up selling it to my buddy and he bought and had installed the lift wheels and tires I wanted to get for it. I ended up moving across the country from WI to AZ and sold my Neon before I left WI.

Being without a vehicle when he decided to sell it, I bought it back. He had the lift wheels and tires installed that I wanted to originally get for it when it was mine so that was a plus buying it back and the rear axle had obviously been rebuilt too.

This is how it was when I bought it back.

013.jpg

014.jpg

She was leaking every fluid possible other than diff fluid and the tcase wasnt leaking but she leaked coolant, oil, tranny fluid. She was in need of some TLC.

I hated the chrome around the headlights so I scuffed the chrome plastic trim up with a scotchbrite pad, masked them off and sprayed the trim with Krylon for plastics Gloss Black. MUCH better.

Jeep002.jpg

Jeep003.jpg

Jeep004.jpg

Jeep005.jpg

Also forgot to mention she had 4 blown shocks when I bought her and replaced with Bilstein 5100s as soon as she got back to AZ with me.

35LiftSprings003.jpg

You can kind of see the shiny front shock tube in this pic I had already painted the wheel weights with some of the left over Krylon Gloss Black. Much better blend to match the rim color instead of seeing big azz silver wheel weights on the rim edge.

Jeep006.jpg

NICE MAN!!! i LOVE older lifted jeep cherokees! always wanted to buy one and lift it and put a nice system in it... ended up buying a 2000 F150 that im going to lift soon with wheels and tires, and wall it off with 4 DC XL 15's on 10k

Then I decided to mod the grill.

Started by cutting out the factory plastic louvers in the grill openings and sanding smooth. Then washed the grill well to remove any dusts from sanding. Then taped off all the gold areas leaving only the centers of the grill openings exposed to paint over the dark grey plastic color with Krylon for plastics Gloss Black again lol.

Pics after painting and unmasking.

JeepGrill2.jpg

JeepGrill1.jpg

Test fitting the unpainted mesh screen pieces I had cut and formed around the back of the grill holes.

JeepGrill004.jpg

JeepGrill003.jpg

Then painted the mesh pieces and installed them with 5 minute epoxy on the back side of the grill and installed it.

JeepGrill005.jpg

JeepGrill006.jpg

JeepGrill007.jpg

Are those Cragar V5's or Black Window D's?

Truck looks sweet! $500 for a solid 4.0l is a HELL of a deal.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Upgraded the fuel injectors. Stockers on left and upgrade on right.

JeepExhaustManifoldReplacementand703Inje

703InjectorsRebuiltandCleaned_zpsbe0303f

Also replaced transmission output seal (a common issue on these) which is a pain in the azz taking the front and rear drive shafts off, cross member, and transfer case just to get to the seal.

TransOutputampTCaseInputSealsJob002_zps1

There is the culprit

TransOutputampTCaseInputSealsJob001_zps9

Also replaced the cracked factory manifold with a newer replacement with the flex sections on 1 and 6 cylinders.

Heres the tiny crack at the collector another common issue with these.

The replacement cost $82 I think with shipping included FTW.

AM-AutopartsJeep40LStainlessSteelExhaust

Also have replaced off the top of my head:

did a tuneup with new spark plugs, wires, and distributor rotor

transmission filter and fluid

transfer case fluid

front and rear diff fluids with heavy duty synthetic

a few gallons of new coolant (its fairly clean and green so no need to flush)

replaced a/c condenser (punctured it on accident doh) and recharged

shocks were blown so upgraded with new Bilstein 5100 shocks and rear trackbar bushings were shot upgraded to IRO heavy duty adjustable

the exhaust manifold was cracked so replaced that

had replaced the water pump right when I sold it to my buddy

upstream o2 failed so I replaced both the upstream and downstream o2 sensors replaced with genuine Mopar sensors (pricey)

The ac condenser replacement job. Kind of a PITA but not too bad. Have to take the grill off, upper radiator support, disconnect tranny cooler lines from radiator, drain coolant and unhook upper n lower hoses. I also had to remove my fan shroud and clutch/fan too because the upper tranny line wouldnt loosen on the radiator side FTL.

ReplacingACCondenser001_zps77f480b1.jpg

ReplacingACCondenser002_zps13fde174.jpg

ReplacingACCondenser003_zpsfdd746fd.jpg

The old condenser for some reason I dont have a pic of the new one but its in that box in the picture.

ReplacingACCondenser004_zpse790997f.jpg

The new one looks nicer through the grill its more silver than black and the fins arent bent up with pieces of bugs jammed in it lol.

Archived