TITUS1985 Posted May 23, 2013 Report Posted May 23, 2013 Hi there I recently upgraded my subwoofer to a Hertz HX 300 sub and want to build the best box I can that will sound super clean but still get low enough as well. I want to go ported but I'm not sure what to tune it at, or how big to go? The manual says to make a box that is 1.35 cubes with a reflex tube tuned to 40 hz. I just think that is a little small to really be able to hit the lower frequencies. I was thinking about making a box that is around 2 cubes (before displacement) and tune it to 35 hz or so?? Just looking for a little help thanks. Also I'm open to any ideas that you guys have, and what tuning frequencies you have your boxes at, thanks again.
Joe X Posted May 23, 2013 Report Posted May 23, 2013 So here is a suggestion: Enclosure Specifications:Fb = 35 HzVb = 1.5 ft^3External Height = 14 inExternal Width = 28 inExternal Depth = 13 inPort Width = 2 inCut Sheet List:* All Dimensions in Inches.* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.External Enclosure Parts:Front = 25 1/4 x 12 1/2Back = 28 x 12 1/2Left & Right Sides:Side 1 = 11 1/2 x 12 1/2Side 2 = 12 1/4 x 12 1/2Top & Bottom = 28 x 13L Port Internal Assembly Parts:Front to Back = 9 1/2 x 12 1/2Extension = 18 x 12 1/2 Assembly guide (generic dimensions): Important notes:- The 45s if you want to do them are 2 1/2" wide except the one/ones inside the port, if you want that let me know.- All boxes built outside the car need to fit in their way in not just have the right dimensions.- This box should be operated around subwoofer(s) rated power. If that´s not the case, let me know.- The port needs 2" of free airspace in front of it for proper operation.- Setting your amp subsonic filter to 28Hz is suggested.
reddude157 Posted May 24, 2013 Report Posted May 24, 2013 Those subs like smaller boxes from what I have read 2001 e 150 conversion van kenwood kdc u942hd lanzar opti 1900d kicker zx 650.4 2 12" obsidians in a 33 hz box 4 set 6x9 2 8" mid woofers 2 almani tweets 200 amp alt 1750 oddesey front 2150 oddessy back 0 ga wire 8 ga sub wire 138,6 db
TITUS1985 Posted May 24, 2013 Author Report Posted May 24, 2013 @ Joe X - WOW thanks for the actual design of the box that's awesome! Can't say thank you enough. So this box should hit the lows and maintain sound quality as well because that's what pretty much my whole system consists of. Also my amp doesn't have a subsonic filter because it's a five channel amp (audsion voce 5.1k to be exact) but its one of the cleanest sounding amp I've heard and it complements my Hertz HSK components perfectly (so this is why I went with the hertz sub as well) @ reddude157 - 1.5 cubes is a pretty small enclosure I believe? have you heard/experienced what the optimum box size is for this sub? The reason I ask is because I would like to only have to build a box once. haha Thanks again for all the input, every little bit helps.
Joe X Posted May 24, 2013 Report Posted May 24, 2013 This sub will peak if placed in larger standard 2 cube box, as above it will not be peaky but will have better extension than the 40+ tuned box, it's set to play the down to the upper 20s. Don't push too much power and you won't have any issues playing lower notes even if you lack a subsonic filter.
TITUS1985 Posted May 24, 2013 Author Report Posted May 24, 2013 I'm going to be running 600 watts to it and that's its RMS rating, so everything should be good there. Also is that the final box volume after subtracting sub and port displacement?
Joe X Posted May 24, 2013 Report Posted May 24, 2013 Yes Vb is net internal volume (after all displacements).
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.