Sonic Electronix

Sub Gets Quieter Past 20 Volume

So so make a long story short, I've been playing the fuck out of my 15'' BL. Its getting about 1600 watts from my sundown and needless to say I have already put a hole or two in the spider from tinsel slap. Other than that, its been great, but now out of nowhere I cant go louder than 20 volume or my sub will actually get quieter, it even does it on volumes lower than that too. I have no idea what it is, but if I had to take a guess I would assume maybe a loose wire and at certain volumes only one coil would be getting power? (dual 2 coils wired at 1 ohm) So does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? My head unit is alpine w205, and I checked the rcas, they seem to be fine. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

teamsundown-1.jpg

Guest MegaloManiac

those alpines have only 2v preouts iirc. you cant really go past 17ish without clipping

You should realize if you know when you are getting 1600watts then why turn the volume up more? you arent goiing to hear any pleasant sound(for most part) after rated power is hit for long periods of time.

those alpines have only 2v preouts iirc. you cant really go past 17ish without clipping

You should realize if you know when you are getting 1600watts then why turn the volume up more? you arent goiing to hear any pleasant sound(for most part) after rated power is hit for long periods of time.

I've heard that before about getting distortion easily with the 2v preouts but honestly there is a point I can hear audible distortion and that is only at 35 and on certain notes. I've listened to my equipment enough to know when it sounds bad, and Im sure it might get distortion past 17, but if so its so minimum that I don't notice it. I would just like to solve the problem at hand and figure out why my sub is not playing as loud as it used to (half the time atleast)

teamsundown-1.jpg

I've heard that before about getting distortion easily with the 2v preouts but honestly there is a point I can hear audible distortion and that is only at 35 and on certain notes. I've listened to my equipment enough to know when it sounds bad, and Im sure it might get distortion past 17, but if so its so minimum that I don't notice it. I would just like to solve the problem at hand and figure out why my sub is not playing as loud as it used to (half the time atleast)

but when you get out of your car with all doors open and walk away 50 ft, does the bass sound smooth, or garbage. My head unit goes to 35 but when I did this test I noticed it sounded crappy past 23, which is where I set my gain to anyway.

A vitrolic, megalomaniacal sadistic psychopath.

but when you get out of your car with all doors open and walk away 50 ft, does the bass sound smooth, or garbage. My head unit goes to 35 but when I did this test I noticed it sounded crappy past 23, which is where I set my gain to anyway.

Damn the thread was kind of jacked with the whole talk about distortion, but no I get absolutely no distortion we will leave it at that, my problem is not clipping or a bad signal, my problem is my sub seems to be getting almost half power at certain times but then will return to normal. I also noticed the positive battery terminal on my kinetik in the back was getting extremely hot. I need to know if anyone has had to deal with this before. I would take the sub out to check the wires but I don't have my drill and I am sure as hell not removing the screws by hand.

teamsundown-1.jpg

Archived