Second Skin Audio

noob questions on a box i just built

bobk83

i recently built a 4th order box for 1 12" re audio se'x and ported it through the rear deck. i had trouble finding pvc that would fit snug on the aero ports i have and ended up using 4" drain pipe pvc because it fit.i have wind noise when its played loud, i dont think its distortion from the sub, the bass is still clean sounding and i never smell the coils burning. the magnet is in the ported section of box.the sealed section is 1.25 cubes and the ported section is 2.6 with 2 4"x9" aeros. towards the end of the box i rushed because i wanted to hear it and didnt put the aero on the port section inside the box.the drain pvc im using is thin and theres two layers to it. im wondering if the ports are too small for the box or if its from using the drain pipe or the fact that theres only an aero on the outside of the box and not inside the box. so far the box sounds pretty good and gets loud and deep. anything over 60hz is pretty much lost though lol. i would appreciate any help you guys have to offer. as soon as i can figure out how to post the pictures and videos ill have a couple up.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a couple videos of the 1 12" re audio. I'm having trouble finding a box size to fit both 12"s and still be able to get to my spare. I took my 6x9" out of the rear deck to make room for 2 more ports. How can I tell if the ports are going to be too small for the box ?

Do you have any idea what you're tuned to? You realize for every inch the ports are either inside or OUTSIDE of the enclosure, it's affecting your tuning right? I saw no mention of tuning or even your projections of what you think you are tuned to. If you are hearing air noise, it could just be that wind noise you hear in the high 20s where you are just moving air and not making sound. A port noise has a unique sound. The box sounds like it's doing a good job to me. You have any pics of the actual enclosure or pics as you built it? Have you ever done a bandpass box before this one?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I'm sorry I thought I had it in the first post. I think it's tuned to 48-50. But now I'm not sure since you said it effects tunning if the port is inside or out. The port comes out of the box about 5" because it comes up through the rear deck into the car. I have pics but I'm having trouble adding them. Thanks for getting back to me. Ill try getting pics up soon. If not ill take a video of the box itself

Archived