Remote starter for 2010 honda insight?

Not trying to be an ass or make a statement, I just want to leave my ac on this summer and prestart my car a minute or 2 before i enter it to cool it off. The Hybrid IMA system doesnt work well in hot weather and many hybrid cars use a push start button. The Honda uses a key with a chip in it, just like the other Honda models. Its also an automatic.

I was quoted 599 at a local audio shop and a friend said stay away from best buy. Is this something I can do myself since Ive installed a car radio, amp, sub, etc? Whats the "best" alarm so to speak? I have an RKE the car came with. Id like a fancy key fob with the image of the car, clock and stuff, but its not required. :)

Thanks for any advice. I see kits of ebay and read a little about the bulldog that is mentioned in the links. Ive seen a few of those kits on ebay, but it doesnt say if it include the T harness or the keyless bypass. If I can forgo all the "features" and just use the T connector and slap the module under my dash that would be AWESOME. :)

I live near RIchmond,VA so if anyone does this locally I could come by.

FYI, I drive the honda like a rental car and still break 50mpg.

2010 Honda Insight Eco Modded + PHEV

1995 Suzuki Sidekick 4wd 5 speed LJX

Been reading up on alarms. Seems the vipers and name brands are universal and wired to the car. Others on ebay and such seem to be either prewired to an extent for certain cars or the instructions are included with a dvd for x model install.

Yeah. Since its a hybrid it has a sequence it goes through where it uses the IMA system to start 99% of the time and its automatic, just turn the key. If the IMA system has an error it uses a traditional starter that requires you to hold the key in the start position til it catches, then you release. A lot of the kits Ive seen said they do not work on cars with push button start and I know the prius all are like that.

Done some more research. Seems 500 bucks is the going rate for a top of the line alarm/remote start with 2 way remote and installation. Some are vehicle specific while others are generic.

Archived