Okay so I've been working on a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.5l v6 for a couple days, it started as the water pump and as I went along I came into a few more problems that got resolved and I finally got the at put back together and tried to fire it. It started to crank and then it just stopped, I've tried everything I can think of to get it to move again an I can't. I'm all out of ideas so if anyone has any please let me know cuz I need this car out of the garage by Sunday night

Car: 1995 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport 4.0L (2wd)

Headunit: Pioneer AVH-P5000dvd

Front Doors: blown stock

Rear Doors: blown stock

High amp: none (for now)

Subs: 12" Kicker L7 D4

Sub amp: JL Audio 500/1v2

Wiring: Stinger Pro

Speaker wire: Stinger 12g

Yeah that's the thing, with these when you do the water pump your supposed to do the timing kit, but I can't get the crankshaft to get anywhere near TDC. Everything else spins freely how it Should except the crankshaft

Sounds like you have what is called an interference motor. If you got the timing wrong and tried to start it you probably bent some valves and that is why the can shaft wont turn anymore and why the engine stopped.

Did you make sure you were at TDC? your crank shaft mark will point at TDC twice as you turn it. You may have accidentally been 180 out of TDC when you put the belt on.

How did you verify you were at TDC and how did you make sure the Cam was in the right place?

i could be wrong but i think with your engine the belt for the water pump is your timing belt. if that the case your piston is prob hiting your vale and preventing you from starting. if you tried to crank the engine with the starter it could be bad news

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

It's a non interference engine, I looked into that. I can't get the crankshaft to go anywhere near TDC. That's what my whole problem is. The other pulleys are at TDC, or I can at least get them there, but once the crankshaft gets to a certain point it just stops. Like something is in the way. But I took it all back apart and nothing is there

according to this, it is an interference engine

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=GatesTBR.pdf&folder=brochure

look under dodge, then stratus and the last motor listed is the 2.5v6. it has an * and that means interfernece.

I ave to go to work now, hope you get this resolved.

Yup interferance engine. Also did the car over heat when you decided to change the water pump? Or did the pump lock up and destroy the belt? Or are you doing it as schedualed maintinanance?

I just wish i had a funny sig.

It ran fine before I took it apart, other than the water pump leaking, and the pump still spun and the belt had nothing wrong with it. I just changed the pump and timing pulleys, put it back together and when I was putting the crankshaft pulley back on it stop stopped rotating at a certain point, which is where I'm stuck at now

Archived