Home loudspeaker design help...

I have a buddy who needs to get rid of his car audio stuff so I'm buyin it all off him for dirt cheap, an I want to make it all into a home audio system, mainly music, but I'll end up using the towers for movies too. Here's what I'll get, but I know nothing about the home system world. Do box recommendations stay the same?

I will get:

(4) Obsidian 15v2s, he has recones so I can wire them however I need/want

(8/) Soundqubed 6.5 Pro Midwoofers

(4) Soundqubed SuperTweeters

I don't even know how to design a home audio box cause idk if it's the same as car audio. Nor do I know anything about home amps or receivers or crossovers..I do for 12v but not 120v..any help would be great, like what amps to get for subs and mids/highs, or how to design the towers. I know it's car audio equipment but I know they'll all work fine. I was wanting to stick with crown for the amps though, I do know they're good.

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Mids/Highs: JL Audio C5 6.5s all around

Mids/Highs Amp: JL Audio HD 600/4

Subs: four SA-8v2s in 3.8cubes @ 32hz

Sub Amps: SAZ3k

Battery: Huge Interstate Batteries relocated to trunk

About 80ft. of 1/0 OFC....

Head Unit: Pioneer 4200NEX

Have you got a budget bro?

You could go a couple of ways. You can go the passive route for your tops. Or you could get a extra amp and run active using some software allowing you to easily change crossover positions. And most of them also have 31 band graphics aswel.

But before we get into all that. Are you wanting to put these into two towers? L+R or are you wanting to have 5.1/7.1 or what configuration you want?

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

No budget. Yes towers, but not massive towers like Steve did for chicken, maybe a little smaller cause I don't want it awkward as hell to move around, but i do like that isolated box for the tweets and mids... And I was just gonna do it L+R cause I don't need surround an I'm sure this setup would still sound good for movies. As for the rest of that I have no idea what the hell you're talkin about. Lol. I'm obsessed with CAR audio...(for now)

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

It's the same situation in car audio. Except we're now dealing with 120v not 12(240in my county)

How are you wanting to get your input to the amps? Through a basic aux cable, RCA? . Or through hdmi or something like that

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

I can do it however is easiest and is best. Hdmi would be best right?

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Hdmi is easiest in some cases. I was mainly asking because you mentioned crown amps. I'm not sure of the make home ones? But the pro audio ones like most pro audio amps/gear only have the normal XLR/jack inputs. Which kinda limit your inputs.

So you can have power with pro audio amps. But you would have to stick with analogue input. And could easily become very pricy. Compared to getting a home theatre amp that allows hdmi among others, but will limit you on power unless you throw some serious coin at it. You will also need a separate amp to power yours subs as mode home amps only have pre amp out for the sub. It also means you will have to use passive crossovers. Not sure if this is a bad thing though. As those tweets will hate being sent full power of a power amp.

Also remember that this gear doesn't like/ can't be wired down as low as car audio. Like I try to run my amps at 2 ohms as little as possible. Some don't even go that low. Some home ones are like 6ohms. I think you'd best bet if to jump on a site and find some options you think will work and then we can help if something doesn't add up or what ever. There are so many ways of doing this that its gonna up to your budget

These are the kind of amps I was thinking... I'm not sure how to wire the amps/receivers or anything, nor do I know anything about the passive vs active or anything...sorry if im unloading all the responsibility of pickin things out to you lol

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

I ave about 20 of those things. Great for every application. With running pro amps your going to need a way to split the signal up to your nrmal lw mids and highs.

I suggest something like this. http://www.zzounds.com/item--DBX234XSV

There are cheaper options out there but I love dbx and its a industry standard. I'm not sure how many amps your wanting to use? Or for subs,and one for mids/highs. Or a sepeate one for mids/highs?

Anyway as you can see on the back of it, it only has XLR connections. Connects XLR to your amps is no issue what's so ever. The issue is getting signal to the processor... You have a coupl of ways you can do this. Obviously you could just get converters and just have a RCA-XLR cable. But this would make it hard for you to change the volume of the system. So I suggest a little pro mixer.... http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHX1204USB something along the lines of that. You could go smaller obviously or larger if you wish. It just gives you somewhere to plug in RCA connections. And the output is XLR so easily compatable with the crossover

Yeah I was thinking an amp for the lows and a separate amp for mids/highs, unless there's one that acts like 5-channel or 3-channel amps in car audio, with the mids/highs on 4 channels with ther own settings and a 5th channel for the sub(s) with its own settings too. But whatever works best. I've never used XLR and know nothin about it...preferably have everything match and be not too difficult to set up. I wouldn't want to use adapters or anything. The second link is broken btw. And the first link is a crossover right?

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Archived