2001 Explorer No Start Checked Basics

Never Done Actual Engine internals working xD im a step above most but 3 steps below mechanics xD i know enough to get by but with a step by step i could figure it out anyone know of some good tuts on valve cover removal 2001 explorer

If I remember right that engine has three timing chains. 2 in the front and 1 in the back to drive the right head. In the front, one runs from the crankshaft gear to the Jackshaft gear. Then from a gear behind the jackshaft gear to the cam gear in the left cylinder head. For the right head, the jackshaft gear is on the back of the engine. The jackshaft runs through the engine where a traditional engines camshaft would be. The timing chain runs from the jackshaft gear to the cam gear for the right head. I think ford put out a bulletin on an issue with timing chain tensioners. I don't know how much experience you have, but if you aren't mechanically inclined you may want to get a mechanic to do the work for you. Pulling the valve covers isn't a big deal. It's getting all of the crap that's on top of them off that is time consuming. If you do attempt to pull it apart, take pictures of the engine before you start and continue taking pictures as you pull components off. That will help when you go to put it all back together. Once you get to the valve covers, pull one off. Get a friend to use a socket and driver to turn the crankshaft. I suggest you do the left side of the engine because the timing gear is in the front. If the timing chain turns, your engine probably jumped time due to damaged timing chain tensioners or guides. If the chain is in tact, but doesn't move when turning the engine the lower timing chain that runs from the crankshaft to the jack gear is probably the issue. Either way, you will need to have knowledge on how to check the valve timing. Either to verify that the valve timing is the issue or during repair to make sure it's timed correctly. There are kits with all the chains, tensioners and guides. Most kits also include a chain for the balance shaft. Your engine may not have a balance shaft. I think the 4x4's did and the 4x2's didn't. We always rebuilt these engines on a table in a shop, so I don't know if you can easily do the repair in frame. I never tried.

2002 GMC 2500HD w/8.1 liter v-8

Pioneer Avic N-5 HU

Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth

Pioneer CD-UB100 usb

Pioneer GEX-P910XM XM receiver

Pioneer CD-1200 IPhone adapter

Pioneer TS-W309D2 subs x2

Audiopipe split 3003

2 Autotek 3-way active crossovers

2 alpine tweeters

RF Punch P132 3.5" full range

RF Power T1462 4x6 full range

RF Power T1693 6x9 3 way

RF Power T2652 T2 6.5 components

2 Autotek ATX 1200.4 amps 4

RF P400 amp

Massive N4 nano-block

I measure loud by the amount of smoke it puts out.

www.enforcer-gaming.com

I just checked. The 4x2 didn't have a balance shaft. If I could post pictures here, I would put one I found online to show you whats involved.

2002 GMC 2500HD w/8.1 liter v-8

Pioneer Avic N-5 HU

Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth

Pioneer CD-UB100 usb

Pioneer GEX-P910XM XM receiver

Pioneer CD-1200 IPhone adapter

Pioneer TS-W309D2 subs x2

Audiopipe split 3003

2 Autotek 3-way active crossovers

2 alpine tweeters

RF Punch P132 3.5" full range

RF Power T1462 4x6 full range

RF Power T1693 6x9 3 way

RF Power T2652 T2 6.5 components

2 Autotek ATX 1200.4 amps 4

RF P400 amp

Massive N4 nano-block

I measure loud by the amount of smoke it puts out.

www.enforcer-gaming.com

or drop in a OHV 4.0 V6, no issues with those, just a little less power. mine had 234k and didn't burn a drop of oil nor did it leak :D

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Ended up being right side timing chain broke, the one at rear of engine, i was told by local mehcanics not worth the price to pay to fix it than to just drop in a new motor, so im just gunna put it in craigslist as nopt running idk why xD 1200 good price? body ahs twwo dents basket ball size other than that looks great! 102k miles

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: Its in the shop getting torn apart hope to know the dmg by friday, now my dang camaro is throwing 8 codes lol gunna start with O2 then evap cannister: Codes are P0300 Random misfire, P0140 O2 sensor, P0420 Cat efficiency below threshold, Currently runnign no cat no muffler, P1406 EGR Valve Pintle, P1441 Evap Sysytem purge when non flow. lol plenty of stuff

Archived