how do people connect the wire to their components/crossovers?

wrexxy

i have the majority of my things in to start my install, but then i realized I'm not sure what the best way is to go about attaching the speaker wire to the speakers/to the crossovers? Do people solder directly to the speaker terminals? or do they use those spade(vampire connectors? not sure what they'er called. they go over the speaker terminals) connectors that come with the speakers?

any information would be really helpful. I don't want to botch the install and have everything sound like crap.

Yes. soldering or using spades is the least of you worries that will impact your system to sound poorly. Sound dead your doors, run adequate wire type/size for your equipment, set your gains and crossovers properly, etc etc. Good Luck

It really depends on your terminal type. For example, with spring loaded push terminals you just go bare wire into the terminal. Spades work for the crossovers that have the regular screw in type, so there is no one best way. I use spades most of the time, but the crossovers on my Boston pros were different, so I didn't use any.

One big thing is to keep polarity correct throughout. I use opposing male/female spade connections to make things easier to remove later, plus you can make the polarity almost impossible to screw up if you do it this way off the bat.

Just use spades at the speaker and if your passive crossovers permit, bare wire there. What I found annoying was my tweets have spade connections from the factory but with like 12" of wiring. I have an install where my crossovers are at back in the trunk so I just crimped tightly the spades with bare wire and put heat shrink over it. Just a suggestion incase you have the same.

Archived