Second Skin Audio

8th order design challenge

KiKaZz74

Yes, I do know that a 4th order is a ported box. I didn't realize it was because of the rolloff slope. I don't think people understand that, then. Why would anyone want a subwoofer with an 8th order rolloff slope? Just for SPL competition? if you had no subsonic filter, maybe that would be handy. But any amp today has a subsonic filter. My personal choice is to extend low frequencies as far below tuning as possible without over excursion or unloading of sub.

An "8th order" would have a retardedly small bandwidth but have enormous gain/efficiency. If you could do it right, it'd be an SPL monster.

Incidentally... if you also add a crossover to your 4th order (or whatever) you add an order. Add a 2nd order crossover to your ported box and voila'... you now have a 6th order and you're cool.

An 8th order's rolloff would be 24db above and below tuning. Not 48db either way.. LIke... a 6th is 24db per octave below tuning but only 12db above tuning.

So why doesn't anyone use 8th or higher in extreme vehicles if they seem to be so good?

And could you please explain the orders and roll offs in more general terms?

Also anyone have a list like I posted a ways back of all the details of the boxes?

Great info from what I can understand. :) thanks guys

People do use them. Most of the loudest cars in the world, the ones in the high 70s breaking into the 80s are bandpasses, some of them 8th orders.

Edit: the problem is, anyone who has taken the time to figure out how to make them work and is breaking or trying to break world records, isn't about to share this knowledge and their secrets freely

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived