UBL: Lbox88's 2009 Equinox

It has begun :ph34r:

IMG_3037.jpg

Got the rear hatch panel off, rear passenger door too. Already need to go buy some new plastic fasteners, only broke one so far but I know more are to meet the same fate :madsign:
IMG_3034.jpg

Need to peal the plastic back to see what's behind and pull the stock speaker out.

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

Now I was thinking of where to put the crossover. Was kind of thinking of trying to find a spot in the door panel or on top of the door panel with holes through it for the wire. Part of me says in the door for a more stealthy look, part says add some flare and put it on the panel. if it was on top, it would be above where the 6.5 sits.

Maybe parallel at an angle along side the line where the grey meets the black on the panel right above the speaker location :unknw:
Looks like there are some open spots on the inside of the door panel I can hide them at too if you look up above at the door panel piece I already have off.

IMG_2757.jpg

Looking from the inside of door. No problem, right?

IMG_3061.jpg

From inside of the B pillar :jon:

IMG_3063.jpg

Now what the fuck am I supposed to do with something like this?

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

How am I supposed to run wire around that big piece of shit? :jon::soapbox::madsign:

Ended up grinding the opening a tiny bit and using 18ga wire.

This is one of my trim rings, kinda ugly but I'll be working on it tomorrow.

IMG_3066.jpg

Compared to the bottom part of the stock speaker I cut off.

IMG_3067.jpg

Took the passenger rear door speaker out and destroyed it for fun.

IMG_3068.jpg

Look at the wee little voice coil lol

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

Second skin on the PR door is done, just need to run wire to it. Then on both rear doors, just need to mount the crossover and speaker, wire 'em up, and put the doors back together.

So, got a little work done to each of the back doors.

Driver Rear

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

Passenger Rear

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

My temporary labels, gotta figure out something more permanent

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

Also looking at where to flush mount the tweeters for the rear doors. The way the door is molded, in many spots the panel is too close to the inside of the doors webbing to mount them. Here's one panel, no tweet:

IMG_3077.jpg

Thinking here would be a decent spot, depth seems to be good enough I shouldn't have clearance issues and this angles the tweeters toward the rear passengers and up a little:

IMG_3078.jpg

So, I'm going to do some measuring tonight to see if I can get the tweets higher. Grim and I got to talking and I looked back on the pic below, and if I get lucky, I just might have the depth I need to put them up in that top right corner near the green retainer clip.

IMG_3034.jpg?t=1340138931

First of all, I grossly overestimated the depth of these tweets as well as the deep available that I had. The tweeters in this kit are just a couple cunt hairs thicker than .75"

IMG_3088.jpg

I had about 1"~1.5" of depth to work with

IMG_3090.jpg

So I measured it out several times, marked it, and took a leap

IMG_3093.jpg

Set the tweeter in to see how it looked and fit

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

Put the panel on to see how my depth was before I ground it out to make the tweeter fit

IMG_3096.jpg

Got about 1 1/8" :)

IMG_3098.jpg

Put the flush cup in to test fit, nice and snug without warping the panel

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

Put the door back on to see fit and placement

IMG_3101.jpg

Now, here's my thing: how to keep the tweeter in? I noticed that the kit came with this black bird shit lookin' stuff, I assume it's for the tweeter.

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

Now does it go on the lip on the inside of the tweeter? So that is mashes against the lip on the inside of the cup?

Does it go on the underside of the lip on the front side of the flush cup?

Or do I put the cup in its hole and then hot glue the cup in place from the back side so it holds on tight but can be ripped out if it needs to be replaced?

I took the bird shit stuff and stuck it around the backside of the tweeter and mounted it in the cup, then mounted the cup in the door.

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

Went to wire it up and decided to secure the wire near the tweet to have a pull relief spot just in case.

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

Also, the crossovers were a little bit loose in their casing, so I went ahead and took the time now to secure the boards before they come loose

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

Put the door back together, doesn't seem to have any clearance or fit issues. The fact that I put it together may kick me in the ass when I go to power them up, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

EDIT: Trying to get a UBL so I can consolidate this whole thing, would be a small project, but man it would be nice.

Archived