Sonic Electronix

Amp going into protect, then voltage surge? AGAIN! Dif amp?

Okay so got a new amp last night... A RF P8002. I saw it hooked up right in the guys car last night (Craigslist) before I bought it to ensure it worked. Payed for it, left. Hooked it up this morning and here's what happened....

Btw, I have a 4 gauge RF run to the back battery, 0 gauge ground, and 4 gauge going into my power series amp and a different ground for that amp (works flawlessly...)

And the car was running, voltage sitting at 14.3 as usual.

So I have a 4 gauge run power going into the new amp, and a 4 gauge ground straight to the battery.

What happened was I powered the amp up, lights came on then all of a sudden goes into protect, I check my ground and power and then all of a sudden there was like a "surge".... My car makes a funny noise like it was trying to keep up with the surge but couldn't... My voltage drops to 13.0 and my amp TRYS to go out of protect (protect light goes off) then the surge stops after maybe a second and the amp goes into protect again..... Then the cycle repeats....

I'm really confused on what this is... It could be a power issue but JUST LAST NIGHT I had my P3001 hooked up working flawlessly.... I have 0 gauge big 3 also..

Help....

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

Damn,

sounds like your power supply just took a dump. :shrug:

That is some bad timing.

I was gonna ask if the speaker outputs are wired up, if they are, disconnect them. But, with it pulling that much current, enough to bog the vehicle, it sounds like the power supply is short.

But the thing is my T600-4 is still working fine... And even when I had my P300-1 hooked up last night... Even when slamming my voltage doesn't drop below 13.9.... I'm confused... How does it go from that to this....

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

It could be speaker outputs... I'll try that later, I rewired my sub this morning so maybe that's it.

No,

Im saying YOUR SUPPLY IN YOUR 800.2 IS SHORT.

Hense, sending huge current to ground. Then it protects.....

Your vehicle voltage is fine. That amp will turn on and play at like 9volts.

I think the amp you just bought, shit the bed, is what im saying....

Fuck....... But I don't get how It worked flawlessly in his car but not in mine..... Is there anything else I could try before coming to this conclusion?

one question, what size fuse do you have inline? Im surprised that isnt blowing. Normally thats the tail tail sign.

anyway, remove speaker leads, rcas

Make sure 12v pos, neg, remote are hooked up properly.

Turn on. If it GOES DIRECTLY INTO protect, OR BLOWS a fuse, your screwed.

Pull amp, and inspect,.. show us a pic of burnt fets, and crusty power supply.

You call RF and get a RMA number for repair. :shrug:

Oh shit I didn't even think about the inline fuse OR the on board fuses. Its 150 amp inline. And 3x40a on board.

I will check when I'm out of school today... I really hope to god it's just an easy fix or something I overlooked...

Thanks man

Oh shit I didn't even think about the inline fuse OR the on board fuses. Its 150 amp inline. And 3x40a on board.

I will check when I'm out of school today... I really hope to god it's just an easy fix or something I overlooked...

Thanks man

I'm still a bit worried for ya....

But,.... good luck.

Let us know.

One more thing Kyle... When my AudioControl LC2i turns on it sends a "thump thump, thump thump" sound through my sub....when it surged this morning, it kept repeating that thump... And it sounded weird. Like the sub was broke?

Archived