2 way external crossover to factory amp, or vice versa? need help!

Sauser85

Hi, I have a couple pairs of cadence momentum series component speakers (CS2.65k) that come with 2 way external crossovers. Now this may seem like a silly question, but i need to ask. since i have factory amplifiers hooked to the back of each of the stock 6.5'' speakers i have now, would i want to run the wiring into the crossover, then to the amplifier, then into the speaker? Or would i want to go into the amplifier first, then to the crossover, then to the speaker? I know this may seem like a silly question, but i need to know what i can and cant do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

vehicle type and why use the factory amp.

You hook them up just like you hook up a aftermarket amp. Amplifier out to x-over out to speakers.

2009 bmw 5 series

Head Unit Stock

Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4

Processor- Audiocontrol LC6

The crossovers need come after amplification. But depending on how your system is configured, the tweets might be biamped, and if so you can't run the tweeter output and the woofer output to the same crossover. But if they are biamped, you won't need the crossover if you're re using the factory amplifiers and just replacing the mids and tweets.

When I bought my Dodge truck with an Infinity system, the tweets were run off a seperate amp channel (bi amped) but they also had their own passive crossovers. But then, my truck is 14 years old, so your system could be remarkably different.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

@Ham, i would love to, but at this moment in time, $$$ is an issue. :( @bbeljefe, when i unplug my 6.5'' speakers, the tweeters shut off as well. I am not to sure if that would mean anything to you, as well as i am new to getting more advance in the car audio world. The crossovers that come with this set of speakers are pretty simple, one set of wires for input, one set out for each, the woofer and the tweet.

@Ham, i would love to, but at this moment in time, $$$ is an issue. :( @bbeljefe, when i unplug my 6.5'' speakers, the tweeters shut off as well. I am not to sure if that would mean anything to you, as well as i am new to getting more advance in the car audio world. The crossovers that come with this set of speakers are pretty simple, one set of wires for input, one set out for each, the woofer and the tweet.

Well... that's what two way crossovers have. They're no simpler in that respect than any other two way crossover. But what do you mean by unplug? Are you unplugging the speaker wire at the mid bass terminal or the wire from the amp to the wiring harness?

That's because the tweets are running off that amp also. You don't need the crossovers, just replace the speakers and bolt the amplifiers to the inner door panels (not the trim panels) with a long bolt & nut and be sure it's not in the way of the window regulator.

The factory tweeters may have passive crossovers near them and if they do, leave those in.

And save the crossovers in case you wind up adding an aftermarket amplifier and ditching the factory amps.

Archived