rampagerich Posted September 6, 2013 Report Posted September 6, 2013 Hey guys I am having a hard time with my SAAB. My current setup is an Eclipse SW8122DVC in a .9 Sealed box being pushed by a Punch P1000X1D amp. The highs are all Infinity Kappa Components pushed by a Punch P500X4D amp. The head unit is an Alpine CDE-HD148BT. The problem I am having is the subwoofer just does not have enough kick behind it. The bass is sometimes extremely heavy and other times its very flat depending on what type of music I play. The question I have is should I upgrade to a better subwoofer that will provide better output? Should I use a vented enclosure instead of a sealed in a convertible? My subwoofer is currently facing up in the trunk space due to lack of truck height of only 12 inches. Let me know your thoughts because its driving me crazy toying with this current sub setup.
the moose Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 personally I'd go to a larger sealed box, maybe around 1.25 cu. ft. instead of .9 cu.ft. A ported box is probably going to be twice as loud as a sealed but may take up twice as much area as a sealed would? Now I do not know the specs. of this model the Eclipse website is down. So if you still have the owners manual, please let us know what the specs are, particularly the... Vas Qts Fs then we could help you out a bit more from there. 1974 VW Beetle 2- JL Audio 10w08 subs in ported fiberglass enclosure Hifonics ZRXLP 6.5C (fronts) Hifonics HRC 5.2C (rears) 500w Crunch powerzone amp (subs) 600w Crunch powerone amp (components) 3 farad power acoustics cap. head unit- Planet Audio P385UA Boss eq 1208
The_Iceman Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 How much room do you have to work with? Can you pull off a good ported for that sub or even another one? What's your musical preferences and how do you like your music to sound? This will affect what box design. My audio system HU - Kenwood KDC bt755HD Subs - Sundown SA 10 -2 Amplifier - CT Sounds 900.1 Car - 2013 scion TC "It matter's not what other's think about you as long as you are happy with who you are" "Great people didn't not sit around and wait for great thing's to come their way, they laced up their shoes, went out kicked some ass and made them happen" "Until you've taken a long walk in my size 11 you have no right to judge me" Musical interests: We came as romans, A Day To Remember, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Story Of The Year, Atreyu, Breaking Benjamin, rise against, bullet for my valentine, red, skillet, Volbeat, alterbridge, creed, T.I., B.o.B, Eminem, T-pain,
W140 Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 personally I'd go to a larger sealed box, maybe around 1.25 cu. ft. instead of .9 cu.ft. A ported box is probably going to be twice as loud as a sealed but may take up twice as much area as a sealed would? Now I do not know the specs. of this model the Eclipse website is down. So if you still have the owners manual, please let us know what the specs are, particularly the... Vas Qts Fs then we could help you out a bit more from there. Great advice What size is your trunk? Length and width? you gave the height as 12". How much of the trunk are you willing to sacrifice?
rampagerich Posted September 28, 2013 Author Report Posted September 28, 2013 So I decided to scrap the 12 inch woofer and go with 2 10 inch woofers in a sealed box. I can put 2 10s in a total of 2 cubic feet. So each 10 will get 1 cubic foot facing the rear trunk. I finally figured that I had the 12 inch positioned wrong so I was losing all my bass having it up fired. I really do not have much trunk space for dual tens in a ported box. trunk dimensions are 36 inches width, height is 12, and depth is about 17 inches. The two 10s I am going with are RE Audio SE Pros. Do you guys know if those subs are decent? Thanks guys for all your help.
john253a Posted September 28, 2013 Report Posted September 28, 2013 Why not a single 10 or 12 in a ported box With the 1000rms u have you'll get some decent noise You could even do 2x sa8 ported If you spend the 340 your will to spend on the 2x 10 You'll get a far better single Dc lvl4 Sundown x Sq hdc3 Dd 3500 Rf T2 Alpine x The list goes on for $300 subs that in a ported box will outperform dual 10 sealed
rampagerich Posted September 30, 2013 Author Report Posted September 30, 2013 Great point John! I think I need to look into doing what you just recommended.
rampagerich Posted November 10, 2013 Author Report Posted November 10, 2013 So I upgraded to 2 RE SE Pro 10d2s . I built the box to RE specs 12 inches in height, 34 inches width, and 14.5 inches depth. I tuned the port to approximately 35 hz. Subs are facing the rear and port is also rear facing. I made sure to use an O scope for fine tuning and I think I finally found a balance in my convertible. I guess it's time to start matting the trunk to stop the rattles. Any you guys ever dealt with RE Audio subs? Are they any decent? Like I said in my earlier post I had an old Eclipse sub and don't really know what the decent brands are that have great longevity for daily abuse.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.