Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Trunk build help - Almost there I think


GZRWbass

Recommended Posts

Posted

Otherwise try 14Hx30Wx18D 3" port 12.5" high and 24" long

you loose about 6 square inches of port area but keep the tuning frequency and drop some internal air space since your concerned about that.

BTW, KRAKIN. I tweaked that box a little and will be cutting up the MDF tomorrow, it's in my garage.

BOUT TIME!

I'm still sad the lack of port area you can fit in your build. Literately tried about 5-6 different designs, ranging from horizontal, dual, vertical designs. IIRC you needed around 70-75 but ended with 55-60.

If this is litres, they recommend 55. If that was for me, thankyou so much for trying diffrent designs!

Posted

Otherwise try 14Hx30Wx18D 3" port 12.5" high and 24" long

you loose about 6 square inches of port area but keep the tuning frequency and drop some internal air space since your concerned about that.

BTW, KRAKIN. I tweaked that box a little and will be cutting up the MDF tomorrow, it's in my garage.

Range is 30-40in, Area is 43.75 and on a guide off here that doesn't work. Also upto 39hz. SOOOO Confusing!

Posted

Otherwise try 14Hx30Wx18D 3" port 12.5" high and 24" long

you loose about 6 square inches of port area but keep the tuning frequency and drop some internal air space since your concerned about that.

BTW, KRAKIN. I tweaked that box a little and will be cutting up the MDF tomorrow, it's in my garage.

BOUT TIME!

I'm still sad the lack of port area you can fit in your build. Literately tried about 5-6 different designs, ranging from horizontal, dual, vertical designs. IIRC you needed around 70-75 but ended with 55-60.

If this is litres, they recommend 55. If that was for me, thankyou so much for trying diffrent designs!

No that was for me, we were talking square inches of port area. Not many, if anyone here talks in liters. It's good old English here. The metric system is so 3rd world

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Posted

Otherwise try 14Hx30Wx18D 3" port 12.5" high and 24" long

you loose about 6 square inches of port area but keep the tuning frequency and drop some internal air space since your concerned about that.

BTW, KRAKIN. I tweaked that box a little and will be cutting up the MDF tomorrow, it's in my garage.

Range is 30-40in, Area is 43.75 and on a guide off here that doesn't work. Also upto 39hz. SOOOO Confusing!

It can be confusing, but don't let the "guides" confuse you more. There is no magic range anything works in. We still debate on this site what the square inch of port area per cubic foot of air space should be. That's why you usually here people say, build it and find out. And since your running a sub not many here have even heard of it's not like we can say we've build boxes for them.

If you need a shoulder to cry on and are within 50 miles of NWI I'll be right there for you. Just say the word

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Posted

BIG thankyou to everyone, even if there was some private jokes going on.

666666666666777.png

Outer Dimensions - 14H 36W 18D

Port Dimensions - 12.5H 3.5W 27L

Net Volume - 3.11 ft³

Tuning Frequency - 33.28 Hz

I will post up some pictures when it's completed. :) <3

Posted

I don't know where the confusion is but there is a disparity between Ground Zero's site and your quoted amplifier ratings. They show the amp to be a 600 watt amp and you show it to be a 1600 watt amp. Also, they show the sub to have 22mm of xmax and you're saying 25mm.

I'm confused...

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Posted

I don't know where the confusion is but there is a disparity between Ground Zero's site and your quoted amplifier ratings. They show the amp to be a 600 watt amp and you show it to be a 1600 watt amp. Also, they show the sub to have 22mm of xmax and you're saying 25mm.

I'm confused...

Opps yeah the xmax is 22. I got the xmax from the data sheet which was effective xmax. This means the minimum area is 39.77, so the port area is still fine.

The amp is the GZRA 1.1200D, that is the 1600 watt amp. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for double checking this over.

Posted

324324324.png

44444563.png

Updated ;) keeps the net volume alittle closer to recommendations and still @ 33hz with the port area just over the minimum, I think this should be the optimum box design, what do you all think ?

Posted

GroundZero12_zpsd3869ab0.jpg

WinISD recommended a box just a hair smaller than GZ does with tuning at 32.34Hz... that's the green graph. The red graph is your design and tuning. -3dB is ~29.5Hz, Peak is from 37-40Hz at ~1dB. Group delay for your design is a bit more than recommended but not too bad.

The xmax claim of 25mm is dubious, since Ground Zero uses a lot of marketing language to describe it. At one point, they claim 25mm of "effective" xmax but then in the linear excursion parameter they say 11.25. I'm thinking they're calling x mech "effective xmax" and the real xmax is under the heading linear excursion... which drastically reduces the actual xmax of the sub... by half. Also, the 1400 watt "SPL" power handling claim is dubious, since they refuse to say RMS...

I changed the xmax to 11.25 and the curve changed slightly, with the peak being a bit narrower at ~37-38Hz but still ~1dB. -3dB didn't change but group delay increased by a few milliseconds.

I'd say start building and see what happens. It should be a good performing box but it won't be shaking anything below 30Hz.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Posted

Thanks bbeljefe was going to start earlier, but all the tips you guys gave me ment building a better box. Much better to wait.

I should be starting this sometime next week. Fingers crossed it all goes well !

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 690 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...