Sonic Electronix

Thoughts on my plans for a system?

Yes, you want the amperage output rating of the alternator.

85A is not sufficient to run a powerful amp.

Definitely upgrade that.

An additional battery, probably wouldn't hurt, but would be help much until you upgrade your alternator.

My choices for the 2 based on my own research is XS Power batteries and DC Alternators. Those aren't the only good ones though, but IMO they are the best in their field,

Ok, so basically what I'm hearing is I'll need a new alternator. But I do have 1 question about alternators. I know mechman and DC alternators are good, I've done some research a bit ago and they look like they'd be perfect, but quite a ways out of my price range I think. Anyone know of some Alts that are in-between? Not exactly "high output" (I mean $5 or $600 dollar output lol)? Any alternators that are still pretty good, or would work fine for me for the time being, that I can use? Once again I'm open to suggestions as much as possible! I know hardly anything so I appreciate all your guys' help!

you can find a used bc2000 or aq 2200 for around the same price as a new zrx3000

About this, I looked at the brand new AQ 2200, the price is something I could maybe live with. but a used one would probably be the better way to go for me since I'm on somewhat of a budget. Would the AQ 2200 power that XL good though? Or is that amp rated a little lower than it should be? or maybe even a lot lower, idk, like I said, I really don't know much! :)

Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit

Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck)

(1) DC XL 15

(2) SQ q1-1200d

(2) Crescendo PWX-6's.

(more to come someday.)

240 amp G series unit

400 rpm turn on speed

140 amps @ 500 rpm

Full output by 1800 rpm

Pure copper rectifier

6 press fit 65 amp diodes

$349

270 amp G series unit

400 rpm turn on speed

165 amps @ 500 rpm

Full output by 1800 rpm

Pure copper rectifier

$449 I say these aint bad prices

truthsayer

240 amp G series unit

400 rpm turn on speed

140 amps @ 500 rpm

Full output by 1800 rpm

Pure copper rectifier

$349

270 amp G series unit

400 rpm turn on speed

165 amps @ 500 rpm

Full output by 1800 rpm

Pure copper rectifier

$449 I say these aint bad prices

Ok, these are definitely getting down into my price range more. Anyone know anything about either of those Alternators? Are they trusted? You're right, those aren't bad prices, but I'd probably go with the 240 amp one cause it's just cheaper and that's probably enough for what I'm looking to get.. Unless I'm wrong, someone tell me if I am :P Is there like a ratio of amp power to alternator amps that I should have? Like for every x,xxx watts on my amp I should have an xxx amp alt?

(1) DC XL 15

(2) SQ q1-1200d

(2) Crescendo PWX-6's.

(more to come someday.)

Not really because the demand of each vehicle varies but lets just put it like this, a true 3k rms system won't be fed all that it would like by a single 240A alt, BUT it would be much much better off than with an 85A alt.

The output of an alternator is dynamic, it's actually a lot like an amp. As they get hot they become less efficient, and a 240 amp alt won't just sit there and put out 240A all day.

Not really because the demand of each vehicle varies but lets just put it like this, a true 3k rms system won't be fed all that it would like by a single 240A alt, BUT it would be much much better off than with an 85A alt.

The output of an alternator is dynamic, it's actually a lot like an amp. As they get hot they become less efficient, and a 240 amp alt won't just sit there and put out 240A all day.

Sounds like the 240A one might be what I'm looking for. Pretty decent price for something that will get the job done but not amazingly. So what happens when the alternator loses amps? Is that the right term? How will I know when I'm losing amps?

(1) DC XL 15

(2) SQ q1-1200d

(2) Crescendo PWX-6's.

(more to come someday.)

Sounds like the 240A one might be what I'm looking for. Pretty decent price for something that will get the job done but not amazingly. So what happens when the alternator loses amps? Is that the right term? How will I know when I'm losing amps?

well your ouput gonna be lower at idle and when your amperage is lower your voltage will drop more

people who have bought from me Team Bassick (ALPINE) Purplehaze nidus

head unit sony dsx-s310btx
subs 2 12 incriminator audio king of bass
subs amp incriminator audio 20.1
mids/highs
mids/highs amp incriminator audio 6.4
equalizer clarion
crossover interfire
alternator 1 mechman 240amp
battery's xs power 1 d2100 2 d3100
sky high car audio 1/0 awg ofc wires

memphis car audio 1/0 ofc
xs power xs flex 4 awg

sky high car audio 8 gauge ofc

sky high car audio 12 gauge ofc

t spec rca

check out my building log http://www.stevemead...frey-build-log/

http://www.stevemead...d-other-things/

check out audio gear i have for sale
http://www.stevemead...51#entry1595151

Mechman_300x100px-2.jpg

3d7304fe.jpg

header3-1.gif

SkyHighCarAudio_zps27302c94.png

Well I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I think I have an idea.

Car audio is all about the flow of DC current from point A to point B. Actually, its more like point A to point Z, and your alternator is both A and Z.

No matter what equipment you run, your job as an installer is to make that flow of current as easy as possible for everything in your vehicle. This includes wire size, length, quality of materials, quality workmanship i.e. terminations etc.

The very first thing you should do is upgrade your big 3 and give your alternator the best return path possible. This helps with any alternator, even your stock 85A unit.

If you are doing this all on your own and want to get it right the first time, I would advise purchasing a big 3 kit from Tony (he goes by SNAFU here on the forum) he has a website you can access by clicking here. They are well worth the money and come with step by step instructions and he sends you everything needed to get the job done. Ok, well he doesn't send tools but just about everything else is included.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I to mechman and request a quote from him on a alt for your car he will tell you just what you need and if he has a direct drop in alt for your car also.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Car audio is all about the flow of DC current from point A to point B. Actually, its more like point A to point Z, and your alternator is both A and Z.

No matter what equipment you run, your job as an installer is to make that flow of current as easy as possible for everything in your vehicle. This includes wire size, length, quality of materials, quality workmanship i.e. terminations etc.

The very first thing you should do is upgrade your big 3 and give your alternator the best return path possible. This helps with any alternator, even your stock 85A unit.

If you are doing this all on your own and want to get it right the first time, I would advise purchasing a big 3 kit from Tony (he goes by SNAFU here on the forum) he has a website you can access by clicking here. They are well worth the money and come with step by step instructions and he sends you everything needed to get the job done. Ok, well he doesn't send tools but just about everything else is included.

Thank you for that link, I checked that out and that seems like a small upgrade that could go a long way. Are those just designed for vehicles with rear batteries? What does a big 3 upgrade run for price? if I had the 240A Alt or maybe even a smaller one, the big 3 would still help?

(1) DC XL 15

(2) SQ q1-1200d

(2) Crescendo PWX-6's.

(more to come someday.)

Thank you for that link, I checked that out and that seems like a small upgrade that could go a long way. Are those just designed for vehicles with rear batteries? What does a big 3 upgrade run for price? if I had the 240A Alt or maybe even a smaller one, the big 3 would still help?

He has big 3 kits for any application. If you don't see it on his sight just email him at [email protected] tell him Thomas sent you. As an SMD forum member you will get 10% off also.

Doing the big 3 sets your electrical system up to work as good and as efficient as possible. It won't make a 240A alternator do 270A but it will help it maintain rated output longer and you would be surprised on what all it will help.

Archived