Second Skin Audio

Fiberglass portion of MDF box?

Chance_P

Hey guys I'm currently running 2x sdc2.515 and I'm going to upgrade to HDC3's. But I was also thinking about switching over to 18's as well. In order to do that I'm going to need to squeeze every CF out of my cargo area that I can. (no way in hell im going to lose my back seats). I was thinking about cutting a piece of MDF to fit the floor perfectly, and then cutting sides out that contour to the wheel wells and then glassing over the wheel wells to seal the sides/bottom. Here is a rough paint sketch of what I'm talking about, after my superior paint skillz...

cargoarea_zps3b5c1ea0.jpg

So is what I'm wanting to do possible? I know I could just build around it with mdf but I want to utilized every square inch possible, and it seems like glassing it wouldn't be that much work. I've never worked with fiberglass though. Any special prep that would need to be done to the MDF? Anyone have a creative way to find out what volume the wheel wells would take up after building the bottom and sides of the box?

find the boxes internal space without factoring the humps. (make pretend they werent there).

make a shell of the hump using fiberglass.

remove the shell.

get packing popcorn and a 1 cubic foot cardboard box. (12''x12'')

Fill the shell with the packing popcorn til its full

calculate how many coardboard boxes worth were needed. (make an educated guess)

do this for both sides

now minus this number from your first number.

last step. LOL

TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat

I would personally just square off MDF over the humps. The difference in airspace from fiberglassing to just using a rectangular box around the humps with wood is negligible. Im willing to bet we are talking about .25-.50 cubes difference between the fiberglass option and the MDF option.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I'm not an expert but I agree I think you could just forget the whole idea of making humps in the box for the wheel wells, I'd personally do what he said ^

Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit

Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck)

(1) DC XL 15

(2) SQ q1-1200d

(2) Crescendo PWX-6's.

(more to come someday.)

maybe you could try with some 18s that work well on "small" boxes??? would be way easier , cheaper and better than your idea, cleansierra is right on this one, as he always is by the way lol

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Archived