Whats The Max, Safe Voltage For 12v Setup

well i got my leeceneville alt back today and its internaly adjustable regulated 160 amp min and 230 amp max alt, well i installed it and i can not adjust it anylower than 15.8 volts idle with lights,heat,wipers,hazard and system full tilt. lol i dont think thats safe so i removed the alt and put my factory one back on to be safe,.... im already worried that i fucked something up with it because before i put the new alt on i would wang all day at volume 24 now if i go past 14-16 the subs cut off but my mids keep playing unless i turn it back down to 14-16 volume,.... any input on this issue :blush:

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

If you are running a 12 volt system using that leece the voltage should be adjusted to 14 volts. If you can't adjust it down to 14 volts call up the rebuilder and tell him the regulator is not working properly, he should just send you a replacement regulator. If you use it over the 14 volts it will slowly boil the batteries.

thanks for that info, thats what i thought would happen so i removed it and now im selln it lol...

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

thats dangerous. You should never ever go above 2.583 volts per cell which is 15.498 for 12V battery.

How accturate is the volt meter you were using?

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

i honestly dont know how accurate, its from ace hardware and only cost 4 dollars, my luke had a dead batter so i used the one with juice...

but even if it were off by .3 v its still too high of voltage, them pics were taken at a idle rev it any at all and it moves alot up

most equipment will pop at 15.6

Running at 14.9-15 would be about it.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

well thankfuly nothing was damaged from my installing the alt, being i only had it on for about 3 minutes and then removed it, .... its real shitty tho, i paid a good penny for the alt to get rebuilt just to end up not being able to use the dam thing lol.... hopefully i sell it for a lil profit and end up geting my 250 amp excessive and a new 250 amp excessive to put on the van and be done for a while other than more amps in the van

The alt you have is a good alt as far as brands. I would never run a internal rectifier or regulator on a alt. If you converted it to a external regulator and rectifier it would out last anything internally regulated and rectified. Also leeces will hold the curent at a hot temp vs other alts you see that will produce a high output for a short period then the output goes down as they get hot.

is there any way possible i can get it to produce a little less voltage so i can use it?

and i do think i messed up somethin not real important tho, my factory alt, is now produceing 15.3 volts lol... and i have to turn the heat on to keep the voltage below 15 volts so i think even tho my external factory regulator wasnt hooked up it still fucked it up but it has a life time warr. so ill replace it tommrow

Edited by mrwigglezdj