Sundown Audio

4channel amp over heats and shuts off

GueroZ28

I have a 600watt 4channel amp I used to have connected to 2 600watt 12inch subs.. but now I only have it connected to 1 sub.. when I tried connecting both subs this time again the amp had a green light on that said power/protector.. so I installed it and everything then after a few minutes the light turned red and it cut off.. it felt hot so im guessing it overheated .... well it is a 4 channel amp I had the subs connected to the rear outputs .. my question is, is it not strong enough to hold both? because I see other people using stuff like 300watts to power 600watt subs and stuff like that.. it is crappy but just a temp while I get something better thanks

Welcome to the forum. Post pics of how you're wired. What is the impedance of the sub, that's what is important here. What configuration voice coil subs/sub are they? How was your gain set who did it with what tools?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Welcome to the forum. Post pics of how you're wired. What is the impedance of the sub, that's what is important here. What configuration voice coil subs/sub are they? How was your gain set who did it with what tools?

I really have no idea anything about the subs.. how can I figure out what you are asking for? sorry im completely new to this.. im guessing gain is the little knob that says the volts on the amp. that was at its max by the time a remembered to lower it it had already cut off but it was set to 3.0v I think.. a friend that knows how to intstall them and we used cheap little wires from walmart

Well max is probably not a good thing :(

You can pull the sub and its likely labeled, or has a model number that would explain if the voice coil/coils are D2 or D4 ohm. They may be single voice coil subs also, but in order to properly help, we will need that info.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Well max is probably not a good thing :(

You can pull the sub and its likely labeled, or has a model number that would explain if the voice coil/coils are D2 or D4 ohm. They may be single voice coil subs also, but in order to properly help, we will need that info.

Well i know its a single 4 ohm voice coil and has an RMS of 300watts

did you have them bridged to the amp?most 4ch amps can only be bridged at 4ohms . if you had them wired parrallel at 2 ohm that might be your problem.

It says bridged but no i didnt bridge them since it was 2 subs. I had them connected to the rear channels and had them parallel ... Should i try bridging them? But do i have to bridge the subs or can i just put the wires from the subs as if i were.bridging them on the amp?

Archived