Second Skin Audio

2 subs - same sealed box - out of phase?

It's complicated. My dad currently has my car (2007 Ford Fusion) that I will get in a month. It currently has the 2 kickers in it. I will make nice separate fiberglass boxes for the sundown subs for the Fusion. I got the sundown subs for me. I am currently driving my dad's car (1993 Toyota Corolla), which he will get back in a month. He is keeping the kickers and since he will be driving the Corolla, I made a fiberglass box for them already so I don't have to do it later. And since I had 2 sundown subs, I wanted to try them out. Why are we trading cars like this: don't ask; it's even more complicated. Also, we live 200 miles apart.
ANYWAY...
I'm not getting even close to what they are rated at (500W RMS), because the stock alternator for 93' Corolla just isn't that good; I have a decent battery, but again, not that good. I get some major light dimming when I crank it up. So I doubt I am damaging them. Besides, I thought Sundown subs are pretty much indestructible.... to a certain extent. But since you guys probably know what you are talking about (more then me at least), I won't crank them as much :( I guess I'll just have to wait for when I make a box just right for them.

If your still having issues,take your woofers out,check the impedance on each coil,they should be fairly close to each other,then check for any psyical damage (spider,loose dustcap,coil nosie) if everything is in working order, and your still having issues perhaps make sure your enclosure isn't leaking or cracked. Oh and if one sub has any surface closer to the cone then the other sub it will load differently "looks like one sub has a delay".

as far as phasing issues,if one sub is wired out of phase from the other you will get almost NO bass which is noticed,because both subs are evenly playing with one in the operate direction,it has a noise canceling effect,which is exactly what's going on.

And wow, that's a lot of airspace. It may not directly cause the issue,but because of such air space,it is possible that you could have damaged a 500watt 8" during the process causing one sub to play louder.

Archived