Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Building a sub box for the first time!


Nas Escobar

Recommended Posts

Posted

I know this topic is probably beat to death, since everyone wants to build their own box but in many aspects, my situation is a bit different.

So without further ado, let me begin...

I own a 2002 Chevrolet Camaro. It's a hatchback, and anyone familiar with these kind of cars know that the "trunk area" is irregular because the gas tank is behind the rear seat. That is the big lump that's in the hatchback area. Then there is a hole where the end of the car is, which is supposed to be a storage area.

1303460050_large.jpg

As you can note from the picture above, the Camaro's storage space is simply odd. The hole towards the bottom of the picture is considred the "trunk", and it is also where people with T tops store their T tops. I personally don't care to "store" them and simply throw em in the back seat or on top of the gas tank (the lump in the center)

So with that said, I want to build a box that goes in the cubby/storage hole, or what ever you want to call it.

I currently have a prefab sealed box in there made by scosche (walmart special). It has a 1.2 cuft3 internal volume, but I feel it doesn't pound hard enough. I have a Kicker CWR 12" sub in the box and it is powered by a Boston Acoustics GT2200 amp. It simply feels that the sub is too big for that box. Kicker's minimum cubic feet for this sub in a sealed box is 1.0 cuft3 and the maximum is 4.8cuft3. Obviously, I can't get 4.8 in this car, but after taking measurements, I can build a box that is 10inch in length, 20inch in width, and 15inch in height, and supposedly I can get 1.6 or so cubic feet of airspace. It would also be less cumbersome than my current scosche box since the box wouldn't have the 45 degree angle the scosche box has.

Here's where things get complicated. I know we all have opinions about sealed vs ported, but in this car, with the sub firing towards the hatch lock mechanism, which type of box would be better? Sealed, or ported?

Should I want to build a ported box, how can I get the 1.8 cubic feet recomended for this sub, while keeping the box within the space of the hole?

Anyone else with this body of Camaro have done a single sub without buying those expensive stealth boxes? I also don't want to put the sub on the lump. I don't like the way it sounds with a sealed sub, and I don't imagine it sounding better with a ported box. Plus it's just asking to get the window busted.

All help is appreciated.

Posted

idd do a custom glass box

flust with the lump

and let it be either sealer or ported depending on the sub and net available

This. Do a custom fiberglassed box. That way you'll get the maximum area out of that space. If the sub does well ported, use an aero port. That'd be pretty sick imo. Everything flush with a sub and port coming out of the compartment.

Wall build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174827-walled-taurus-with-lambo-doors/#entry2571893

real men dont use fuses :D

Neither do morons
Says the guy with lambo doors on his Ford Taurus.
  • 1 month later...
Posted

Well, I thought I should update, but I found a 10" Kicker Solo Baric on sale with the enclosure. I put it in the "hole" of the Camaro and works pretty good. Not too loud, but good enough for a cruise.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3203 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...