How much do you think I could get for these?

I have two laptops that I am trying to get rid of.

The first is a Dell Inspiron 1525 that my dad gave me to do whatever I want with - It will power up but the screen will not come on. If I remember right, he took it to someone to check it out and he said it was either the screen or the graphics card (At least a $100 fix). There's no power cord for it either.

The second is a Compaq Presario CQ62 - The screen will wig out unless you hold it in the absolute perfect position or hook it up to a monitor. Other than that it is riddled with viruses, a shit ton of different programs and is extremely slow overall. I have the power cord for this one.

http://i.imgur.com/H9OO0nY.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/v3hZaDG.jpg

I doubt anyone would want these for a computer, so I would like to know how much I could scrap these for. Have to get some money for my system.

Thanks

FF8BgH6.png

1993 Toyota Tercel

Two DC Audio Lvl 2 12's
DC 1.2k

Your probably correct on nobody wanting them for a computer :D

The thing is old laptops are not worth much, even custom ordered gaming laptops that where $2000+ new 4-5 years ago are lucky to pull in $300 used, just due to how out dated they became.

What makes it even harder to determine a price is that the model numbers mean nothing.

Just using the Dell Inspiron 1525 for example, the model number does not say much if anything about the computer. It could of been a bare stock 1525 with a 1.4ghz processor, 512mb of memory, a cd player, and a 80gb hard drive, or someone could have spent a little more money upon ordering it from dell and stepped it up to a dual core 1.3ghz processor with 2gb of memory, a cd burner/dvd player, and a 200gb hard drive. Bottom line its still a Dell Inspiron 1525, but one is worth a little bit more then another. This can go for any laptop also, not just the Dell.

You need to power the machine on and check the specs of the laptops to even get a ballpark of what they are worth.

Now for the Dell, if it has the ability to have an external monitor connected to it, and you can actually see the desktop thats a good sign that the laptop needs a new screen.

If you connect a monitor to it and you still get no picture thats telling you something is wrong with the video card, and it being a laptop there is no simple way to swap out the video card with a new one the majority of the time since they use integrated graphics (which means the video card is built onto the mother board). So to fix that problem you got to take the laptop almost fully apart, buy a new/used motherboard, install it and put it all back together. and really its not worth that time, hassle, or money to most, which may also hold true if it is just the screen being replaced (depending on the cost of the new/used screen, and what you have to pay someone to install it if your not able too).

So really, I dont see it being worth more then 15bucks if your lucky just due to the fact of the specs being unknown, no power pack (which sometimes are a good $30 on their own), not including the potential price to get it working again.

Now again with the Compaq, many different models of it, some having 1, 2, or 3 gb of memory, and different size hard drives, changes the price so much.

The fact that the screen only works in one position leaves me to believe the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the motherboard is getting old and the electrical traces in the cable are wearing out from opening and closing the screen a lot (similar problem to some car audio flip out screens).

Sometimes you may get lucky and can just unclip the cable from the screen and mother board and order a new one, other times the ribbon cable is soldered to the screen and the only way around fixing it is by replacing the screen.

This laptops condition is no where near as bad, but the fact of it still needing repairs, and the fact that its loaded with virus's may turn people away from it knowing that theres a lot of work to be done trying to clean it up, or just format and install a new copy of windows. That being said, Id say $80 is way more then fair, $100 if your lucky.

Keep in mind that you can goto Walmart and buy a semi decent new laptop for a hair over $200.

Figured I wouldn't be able to get much for them. Shame.

Right now I have an Asus G55V, Intel Core i7 - 3630QM, 2.4GHz so I'm set on a computer. I was just trying to save up money for a system and thought I could start on these laptops.

Thanks guys

FF8BgH6.png

1993 Toyota Tercel

Two DC Audio Lvl 2 12's
DC 1.2k

Archived