Assuming you can't get into Safe Mode (Press F8 when you boot the computer), Can you take the hard drive out of the computer and hook it up externally to another? If SO, pay attention to what drive letter the hard drive comes up as on the other PC, then run the following:

On other PC, open command prompt. Go to Start> Run> type "CMD" and press enter.

New box pops up, type the drive letter and then ":" and press enter. So if you hdd mounts as F drive, type "f:" and hit enter.

Should see the drive letter change on the left side.

Now type "chkdsk /R" and press enter. If an error pops up asking to force dismount, go ahead and force it.

When it's done, you'll want to see how many KB in bad sectors the report shows you, if ANY, it's a bad drive. The good news also is that the /R will help automagically recover what it can.

• 2 weeks later...

You cant just install windows on another machine and move the hard drive. It uses hardware ID's so windows knows where to boot from.

I'm not suggesting he install it to another machine... I'm asking him to mount it externally on a working machine, then run chkdsk on the drive from that external machine.

I'm not saying you did, he did that :-p

Anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a western digital 1TB hard drive, installed windows 7 onto it from another computer. But when i hook it up to my desktop i get the same black screen. And it wont show up in the windows install screen. (it works perfect on another pc..)

I can see both hard drives in BIOS and ive tried changing the boot order.

I'm not saying you did, he did that :-p

Anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a western digital 1TB hard drive, installed windows 7 onto it from another computer. But when i hook it up to my desktop i get the same black screen. And it wont show up in the windows install screen. (it works perfect on another pc..)

I can see both hard drives in BIOS and ive tried changing the boot order.

Ah, sorry dude.

Archived