Sundown Audio

Amp pops on power on/power off

scobar

Turn On/Off Thump

Turn on thump can vary from a slight pop to a mind shattering, teeth rattling BOOM! This thump is caused by the audio circuitry stabilizing when power is applied. Most amplifiers and source units have muting circuitry that lasts a couple of seconds to allow these fluctuations to subside before passing a signal. However, if the amplifier un-mutes before the source unit or any other accessory, you better watch out. Here are some things to try if you have turn on thump.

1. Verify that the amp has a good audio ground reference.
  2. Dont install the system so the amplifiers can be switched on when the source unit is turned off.
  3. If you still have thump, add a turn on delay module in line with the remote turn on wire to the amp.

Ok, pulled rcas. I can turn the deck on/off and no pops. I can hear the relays turn on, first deck, then center console and then amps. I have an audio control matrix in the center console with a relay that feeds the amp remotes, and a pioneer screen deck(forget the PN). Everything was set with a DD-1

Sounds like this was discussed in another post. Anyway, sounds like the rca connections on your amp has an internal grounding issue.

truthsayer

Archived