Placement of woofers/midbass

bassl0va

So I'm putting a bunch of gear from my last system into a 2 door Toyota Starlet hatch, and I'm now unsure about the placement of the woofers and midbass. The speakers that are going to go in it are:
x4 older model DD w6.5s
x2 DD c6.5s used as mid/woofers

x2 DLS 2.5" dome mids
x2 DD tweeters from the c6.5 set

The last 3 items will be on DLS 3-way crossovers, the stuff sounds quite good together with the tweeter wired out of phase and the woofers high passed at like 120-150hz kinda range. The w6.5s were amped separately picking up where the c6.5s left off down to about 70hz. I'm yet to decide on a sub, I'll either make do with something I have or try borrow something off someone. Hopefully I can get hold of a spare 9510 or something.

Anyway the mids and tweeters are going in pods on the A pillar so that is sorted. I'm just not too sure what to do with all the 6.5"s now. The original idea was to glass the c6.5s in the front doors and glass the w6.5s in these little recesses by the back seats. But now I'm wondering if that'll kinda ruin the imaging. But as impressive as 3 6.5"s in each front door would look I'm not sure if there is enough room because the doors aren't too thick, and the windows aren't electric so there needs to be room for the winding handle. Also I don't know which would give the w6.5s the best airspace, the little recess in the back has a little pocket which looks as though it can be popped out and then it should have a lot of room behind it. I took a bunch of pictures, sorry there isn't really anything to show scale, but that recess in the back is about 6.5" tall and 14"ish long and the doors will definitely fit a single 6.5" toward the front of them.

So what do you guys think I should do? w6.5s in the back ok since they aren't playing too high? Try squeeze everything in doors? (not sure if possible)

IMG_20131111_160641.jpg

IMG_20131111_113211.jpg

IMG_20131111_113155.jpg

IMG_20131111_113146.jpg

IMG_20131111_160545.jpg

IMG_20131111_160537.jpg

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

You have a couple options to play with. I would mount the dome mid and tweet in the A pillars like you mentioned. Put the midbass of the 3 way in the kickpanels. Looks like an automatic so you should have the room. Doors would work too but the matter is complicated with the window crank. Then mount the subs in the rear pockets you have. That area looks like they would have more than enough room for two of those subs. Keep the x-over point low and deaden the hell out of the enclosures they are in and you shouldn't have any issues with vibration.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived