Need advice on my Forester XT

I have an 04 Subaru Forester XT and I want to do an air intake and a stage 1 flash tune in it. The problem is the flash tuning tool costs a bit much for me so I can't do the flash tune to stage and for the air intake. Is there a way I could have someone tune it for cheaper or an air intake that doesn't need a tune? any help would be great!

Don't know how much your flash tune is going to run you but we've always used the Cobb Accessport for Subarus. That way you don't have to pay for reflash when you get your next mod. Just a free download and you're good to go.

Easy "staged" programs for starting builds and if you get a bit nutty with it you can get custom ones as well. It doesn't limit you down the road.

Static drops are my bag.

Don't know how much your flash tune is going to run you but we've always used the Cobb Accessport for Subarus. That way you don't have to pay for reflash when you get your next mod. Just a free download and you're good to go.

Easy "staged" programs for starting builds and if you get a bit nutty with it you can get custom ones as well. It doesn't limit you down the road.

Is the tune absolutely necessary for an air intake for me forester?

On Cobb's web site it says you can run their intakes without a tune. But if you run any boost higher than stock I'd get the tuner. Manual boost control+intake+no tuning = recipe for disaster.

We do them this way:

1) Intake and tuner.

2) Equal length fuel rail, 255 fuel pump, and full exhaust with down pipe.

After that it gets expensive.

Static drops are my bag.

On Cobb's web site it says you can run their intakes without a tune. But if you run any boost higher than stock I'd get the tuner. Manual boost control+intake+no tuning = recipe for disaster.

We do them this way:

1) Intake and tuner.

2) Equal length fuel rail, 255 fuel pump, and full exhaust with down pipe.

After that it gets expensive.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind, I'm mainly trying to get some affordable extra power and sound with out hurting my mpg. I have a friend with a Cobb tuner for his wrx but he says the tuner marries to the specific vehicle so I can't use it. I'm very new to performance, always just been an audio guy

Got it. Was kind of chuckling to myself because of all the times I've heard someone say "I'm only going stage 1." Because they always come back for more. Just like audio. "Just a 500 watt amp on one sub" quickly becomes...well you know.

Think of it this way: your fuel system is like your battery/charging system for your stereo--it's what allows you to do what you want to safely. It's the number one most important foundation for the whole thing and people not doing their supporting mods is the biggest reason for blown turbo motors--leaning them out. Not enough fuel to an engine? Boom. Not enough supply voltage to an amp? Same thing. That's why we do things in the order we do. To keep it safe and fairly idiot proof. It's not the only way to do it, but it's the safest way we've found and leaves you in good shape for the next step. The computer/tuner is constantly monitoring and making changes on the fly to keep things as correct as it can with the fuel and air available. You have to balance your air and fuel supply with your build and the tuner keeps it working as well as it can.

I've got some friends that have gone way above and beyond what I've listed (like most end up doing), fully built bottom ends in their motors, giant turbos, no cats, equal length manifolds, up pipe, you name it. As long as your tune is proper your gas mileage won't suffer for daily driving. 450+hp and 25+mpg (in my friend's '05 2.5 STi) highway is attainable if you air/fuel is correct.

Static drops are my bag.

Got it. Was kind of chuckling to myself because of all the times I've heard someone say "I'm only going stage 1." Because they always come back for more. Just like audio. "Just a 500 watt amp on one sub" quickly becomes...well you know.

Think of it this way: your fuel system is like your battery/charging system for your stereo--it's what allows you to do what you want to safely. It's the number one most important foundation for the whole thing and people not doing their supporting mods is the biggest reason for blown turbo motors--leaning them out. Not enough fuel to an engine? Boom. Not enough supply voltage to an amp? Same thing. That's why we do things in the order we do. To keep it safe and fairly idiot proof. It's not the only way to do it, but it's the safest way we've found and leaves you in good shape for the next step. The computer/tuner is constantly monitoring and making changes on the fly to keep things as correct as it can with the fuel and air available. You have to balance your air and fuel supply with your build and the tuner keeps it working as well as it can.

I've got some friends that have gone way above and beyond what I've listed (like most end up doing), fully built bottom ends in their motors, giant turbos, no cats, equal length manifolds, up pipe, you name it. As long as your tune is proper your gas mileage won't suffer for daily driving. 450+hp and 25+mpg (in my friend's '05 2.5 STi) highway is attainable if you air/fuel is correct.

That is incredibly well explained! I see what you're saying. Also I'm not do sure i'llstay at stage 1 either, but for now it's all I can afford

Archived