Audioholic Posted November 17, 2013 Report Posted November 17, 2013 Building my 1st sub and I'm trying to figure out how many spiders to use .I understand that the spider (s) is the suspension and controls the amount of excursion of the cone. I have NO experience with monster size subs so any advice would be appreciated. So far I have a the motor Rockford trf (4hp), basket a TC sound LMS (18inch), and cone Rockford kevlar pressed cone (same as the Rockford power hx2) reusing the team Rockford dustcap no voice coil yet, but looking at a 4 layer 4inch flat wound copper dual 2ohm one.Sub will be for a daily driver set up paired to a 2500bdcp.
slowfkncar Posted November 19, 2013 Report Posted November 19, 2013 Actually there is no right or wrong answer. both configurations will have advantages and disadvantages. the trick here would be dependent on your wanted frequency output. do some research on T/S parameter values and you will understand what you are doing 20x better. A stiff spider will give your woofer a higher FS,it will make it harder for it to dig down into the lows with a stiff spider. It will also give greater cone control in the upper frequency range but this all depends on the weight of your cone,coil length ect. A softer spider render the cone quicker and it will let it play lower frequencys more efficiently. Putting together a woofer is like one big equation.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.