Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Enclosure opinions needed for fi ssd 12"


B-Large

Recommended Posts

Posted

Alright, this will be my first enclosure build designed by me so maybe I'm over complicating things. Honestly I think i just like the project/challenge portion of building an enclosure and that is what led me to designing a kerf bend enclosure. A single kerf bend at the exit would be easier but would it have the same affect as smoothing a 90 and maintaining near constant port area?

I totally understand wanting to challenge yourself with the design. Nothing wrong with that at all. The benefit I see of using kerf bends inside the port is it will allow for smoother air flow, thus decreasing your chances for port noise & compression. I don't think keeping the port area completely consistent vs a more typical rounded over edge and 45 piece is going to have much, if any, measurable difference and certainly not any audible one. I guess if you really wanted to challenge yourself you use kerf bends in both places and that would be the best case scenario.

If you are looking for a challenge I say go for it and do the kerf bends everywhere, they aren't too tough to do once you get them figured out.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Alright, this will be my first enclosure build designed by me so maybe I'm over complicating things. Honestly I think i just like the project/challenge portion of building an enclosure and that is what led me to designing a kerf bend enclosure. A single kerf bend at the exit would be easier but would it have the same affect as smoothing a 90 and maintaining near constant port area?

I totally understand wanting to challenge yourself with the design. Nothing wrong with that at all. The benefit I see of using kerf bends inside the port is it will allow for smoother air flow, thus decreasing your chances for port noise & compression. I don't think keeping the port area completely consistent vs a more typical rounded over edge and 45 piece is going to have much, if any, measurable difference and certainly not any audible one. I guess if you really wanted to challenge yourself you use kerf bends in both places and that would be the best case scenario.

If you are looking for a challenge I say go for it and do the kerf bends everywhere, they aren't too tough to do once you get them figured out.

Really appreciate the input. I think when i get some time i will make up a plan for kerf bends at the port bend and mouth. One thing i was worried about with this enclosure design was that it is totally square on the inside untill the second baffle was added. I designed it like that so i could try upward and rear facing . Do you think that would be a problem for sound quality?

Posted

Really appreciate the input. I think when i get some time i will make up a plan for kerf bends at the port bend and mouth. One thing i was worried about with this enclosure design was that it is totally square on the inside untill the second baffle was added. I designed it like that so i could try upward and rear facing . Do you think that would be a problem for sound quality?

Shouldn't be, sounds like a good idea to me. It's always nice if you can experiment with how the enclosure is oriented in your vehicle.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6287 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...