Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA8's in Silverado crew cab

iceman1575

So, I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm wanting to put a stereo in my crew cab Silverado, something simple, so I'm recycling my 4 SA-8v1's (following recone) and putting them in my truck. Took a look tonight though, there isn't a ton of room to play with though, it looks like...measurements I could grab work out to be about

6.5" bottom side
5.5" top side
10" rear

Not a lot of room. Of course, this isn't going to be for a huge SPL goal, just some bass to have in the truck (at least something that will destroy most of the junk Sony/Pioneer/JVC systems around here lol), doors aren't going to be a big goal to keep up with, replacing each door with components on an Alpine H/U and 45w x 4 power pack. I'm just more worried about how I'm going to build the enclosure to work with them. Any tips/suggestions?

POTATO!

Here is a box I did for 4 RF 8"s in a customer's crew cab Silverado. Just an idea of what you can fit.

2013-10-23110936_zpsd7eee12c.jpg

2013-10-24142209_zps74b985ff.jpg

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Here is a box I did for 4 RF 8"s in a customer's crew cab Silverado. Just an idea of what you can fit.

2013-10-23110936_zpsd7eee12c.jpg

2013-10-24142209_zps74b985ff.jpg

Looks about the same as my truck. Sealed only? I'm not sure how the SA-8's will work sealed, may be my only option though...

POTATO!

Yeah its sealed. That's what the customer wanted. You might be able to fit a ported box for two SA-8s, but there is no way you are going to fit a ported box for four of them back there.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Just to give you an idea of how little that space is after you subtract out the thickness of your box material, those four 8"s only have .25 cubic feet of net volume each and there is only about a 1/8" of clearance between the magnets and the back of the box.

Builds:

You don't need that seat on the passenger side. You can put a big 'ole box there, tons of space. :drink40:

Builds:

You don't need that seat on the passenger side. You can put a big 'ole box there, tons of space. :drink40:

Can't take the seats out, I do need it actually. Plus I'm trying not to modify this truck too much.

POTATO!

Can't take the seats out, I do need it actually. Plus I'm trying not to modify this truck too much.

You wouldn't have to take the seat our or modify the truck really. You could do something like what JoeX posted here: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/180204-my-first-attempt-at-a-vented-enclosure/

If you used a quick disconnect on the wires to the box you could take it out pretty quickly when you needed to. I guess it depends on how much you need that extra seat.

Builds:

Archived