Sundown Audio

amp cuts out at high volume

MACnonsence6

k so I've been running an audio technix 800.1 for about a month now. I have it mounted to the box with rubber o rings in between it and the box and today while listening to a song at about 32/35 it cut out bad lights dimmed and such so I backed off. The volume and it was fine tried a diff song and it was fine up untill the upper volumes. So my theory here is that I don't have it isolated enough from the box and something is loose and when the bass hits it looses its conection. I plan to take the amp off the box and isolate it with a towel or something just to test if I still have the same issue, this should give me an idea as to if something's just loose or if something truly went bad. Now my question is what to look for as far as loose components. This way I atleast have an idea where to direct my attention instead of just going threw and re soldering everything,

also being I do not have room to build a amp rack what is the safest way to isolate the amp from the box so I don't have have this issue anymore

and then the today it cut out all together / but my mid / high amp stayed on/ so i shut the deck off went back no blown fuses no smoke no smell of burnt. so i turned the deck back on no protect light nothing. i checked the coils and everything reads 1 "2-d4"

not really sure what to go with here idk if itll be covered by any sort of waranty being i got it from a vender on ebay. if its something simple like re soldering a semi broke joint i rather just do that my self. any help or input as to what could be causing the issue.

also i have 3 batteries in the car and very strong voltage i cant dip into low 13s full tilt at idle. and nothings been changed gains been the same way sence i put it in

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

atm just playing in the car to show a flex vid as well as my voltage its mid to high 13s i cant touch 12 at idle. also isolated the amp with a towel no problems what so ever. so im thinking it might be my turn on wire ive had a similar issue before might have to run a relay or something im gonna check that cables conections.

what can i put in between this amp and the box so it wont flex like crazy

just made a vid ill post in when its done uploading but my voltage drops to 13.3 @ 34/35 with a song i made with audacity. slowed with bass boost 2db woofers move retarded with this song so i figured this would be the best/worst case sceneo to show you drop

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Mounting a amp to a box is fine. And the way you did is the best way. I have seen cars that do 150+dbs with amps mounted to the box. Where is your amp grounded too? Makre sure all your connections are solid as hell, and that all power and ground wires, were ever connected. Have the surface sanded down for bare metal. Also, what size wire are you running for it?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

i have 1/0 from front bat to rear bat grounded with 1/0 from strut tower to battery " sanded to bear metal " its weird cause ive been beating this thing for about a month no issue and like i said my mid/high amp stayed on when this cut out off completely the other day. and then from the rear battery i have maybe a 15" run of 4g power and ground to the audio technix 800.1 and slightly longer runs to the duel amp. the box prolly isnt braced the best cause you can feel the amp viberate pretty bad. just seems like its gotta be the box cause when theres a towel in between the 2 its fine

well ya i understand that now. but this is kinda my semi perminet set up till i get my destroyers built and a 4k then its a whole new box any advice aside from just rubber washers that i can put between the amp and box ?

well ya i understand that now. but this is kinda my semi perminet set up till i get my destroyers built and a 4k then its a whole new box any advice aside from just rubber washers that i can put between the amp and box ?

there is nothing you can do aside from multiple rubber washers. mount the box on the floor of the car. or take the woofers out and brace the box with allthread or wooden dowels.

the box is a 30w 17h by 22' its a double baffle with all thread from front to back and a wooden brace thats 4x w,e the internal height is i dont remember. as well as an L port

so i have it braced ish its not like theres flex in the box just viberates enough to viberate the amps

i was thinking 2 lays or cardboard with rubber washers in between the 2nd and the amp

Archived