Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

isobaric 6th order designer


jroo

Recommended Posts

Posted

Folks, who would you recommend as a good 6th order designer? I have had a couple of 4th orders before, but never tried a 6th order and my understanding is if the design isn’t right these things don’t perform well at all. I am looking at the MCM 8” subs and want to do 4 subs in an isobaric 6th order. They would see about 700/800 rms from an older Rockford 800a2. Again, who would you recommend for this?

BTW, here are the subs I’m looking at.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2421-/55-2421#reviews

Posted

I've used those subs before. They work really well in tapped horns. For other style enclosures they are kinda hard to work with. I took a stab at a 6th order design in WinISD, here is what I came up with:

Screenshot2014-01-06080521_zps2e8ba587.p

My design isn't isobaric as I don't think isobaric is going to work out. To get decent response the front chamber would have to be so small it would be almost impossible to build. As it is I think you are going to have a REALLY tough time designing an enclosure to fit those specs.

Also you have to get the tuning JUST right for this thing to work like it should. If I were to build it I would use external ports, make them oversize, and then trim them down until you got the tuning where it needs to be by measuring the impedance curve.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5110 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...