Backup Camera not working.

20140107_153200.jpg20140107_153143.jpg20140107_153432.jpgI have a cheap camera off ebay. I feel like what I am using to connect the wire is causing the problem but it is to cold to solder the wire is really thin too. I am get power at the reverse light but the screen is blank. I have a pioneer 3200 dvd do I need to tap into the reverse gear wire as well for it to work? I need to finish the install before I continue with the build.

The port on the back of the headunit is for the backup camera video right? That is the jack I had it plugged into.

did you run an RCA for the video from the cameras brain to the back of your head unit? There should be a ground, 12 volt turn on, and RCA input from the reverse camera. Would be my suggestion (based on your pictures) not to use the wiring for your tailights as your ground. Find a seperate ground or ground to the frame rail, and then run that RCA video cable and you should have signal then.

Yes you tap onto the reverse wire that turns to a 12 volt positive wire when the reverse lights are on. Use a probe to confirm if needed. As far as the correct input on the back of the headunit, have you consulted with the owners manual? That should tell you which input to use.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

I ran the rca for the camera to the headunit. You think it could just be a bad spot to ground it at?

It could very well be those connectors, or the ground. I would find a better place to ground them and see what kind of continuity you have with those connections. Rear view cameras are super easy, so it could only be a few things giving you an issue.

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

What would be a better connection besides solder? It's way to cold to solder.. that is good to know.

At this point even a butt end connector or crimp cam just to ensure the connection before you can get to solder

20140108_142914.jpg

I already epoxyed the camera and the image is sideways.. The camera screws in and out could I use washers or something? Also the headunit is stuck on the camera screen but I'm sure it's just because I need to run a wire from the reverse gear wire to the headunit.

Yes, you will have to wire the headunit to the reverse wire, otherwise it will just be on all the time instead of turning on when you put the vehicle in reverse. What was the issue? How did you get the camera screen to work finally?

Not following what you mean with the washer so you will have to take some pics or something to clarify what you are trying to do. Always good to test things out before going as far to glue or bolt/screw things into place. ;)

The connectors I was using did not cut in the wire at all haha. I got the image to face the right way with the provided washer. It is camera, washer, the camera holder. I'm about to wire the reverse wire into the headunit. I'm going to have to practice backing with this some more I can already tell haha.

Good to hear you were able to get it all figured out. They are really pretty easy to install so it is good to hear it wasn't anything too crazy.

Archived