Blaktastic Posted January 8, 2014 Report Posted January 8, 2014 Just ordered an Fi SSD 12" that i'm going to be running off of my RF R1200-1d. For a ported enclosure the SSD is supposed to be between 1.5 cubes and 2.5 cubes tuned at 33 hz. My specs for this are 15 high, 28 wide and 12 deep. I pretty much need to stay within this specs because of space restraints. My problem is that my minimum area for my port is 36" which would make the port length almost 39". This leads me to my real question...If I lower the area of my port to accommodate my small depth what trouble could I get into?
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 8, 2014 Report Posted January 8, 2014 If your port is too small you may get port noise, if its really too small you can get port compression, which you do not want at all. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Blaktastic Posted January 8, 2014 Author Report Posted January 8, 2014 If your port is too small you may get port noise, if its really too small you can get port compression, which you do not want at all. So is my best bet to just tune it to a higher frequency by using a larger port area? I'm a port noob help please lol.
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 8, 2014 Report Posted January 8, 2014 Unfortunately you are kinda in a tough spot due to your space constraints. With the dimensions you gave your enclosure will be 2.17 cubes internal volume before you take into account driver and port displacement. Driver and port are going to eat up ~1 cube leaving you with roughly 1.2 cubes left, which is considerably less than what you want. Sorry to say this but you should have bought the 10". The lesson here is you should design the box to fit the area first, and then see what sub will work. Not buy first, try to make work later. You might be able to fit a pair of 4" aero ports in there if you tune them to 38 Hz or something. Though no matter what you do its going to be significantly less than optimal, you just don't have the space. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Blaktastic Posted January 8, 2014 Author Report Posted January 8, 2014 Unfortunately you are kinda in a tough spot due to your space constraints. With the dimensions you gave your enclosure will be 2.17 cubes internal volume before you take into account driver and port displacement. Driver and port are going to eat up ~1 cube leaving you with roughly 1.2 cubes left, which is considerably less than what you want. Sorry to say this but you should have bought the 10". The lesson here is you should design the box to fit the area first, and then see what sub will work. Not buy first, try to make work later. You might be able to fit a pair of 4" aero ports in there if you tune them to 38 Hz or something. Though no matter what you do its going to be significantly less than optimal, you just don't have the space. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but what if i made the port from the side giving it a potential 28 inches of depth? Any experience with this?
CleanSierra Posted January 8, 2014 Report Posted January 8, 2014 What if you were to use a round port instead of a slot port? It will eat less volume by far, and allow the sub to still perform very well. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
CleanSierra Posted January 8, 2014 Report Posted January 8, 2014 P.S. What ride do you have that you only have 12" of depth? Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 8, 2014 Report Posted January 8, 2014 Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but what if i made the port from the side giving it a potential 28 inches of depth? Any experience with this? You could do two 4" ports coming in the side. You have to keep the end of the port 1 port length away from the end of the box so the max port length would be 23.25". That will tune it to ~40 Hz.. You will have to put the ports in the corners of the box to clear the motor on your sub. In the corners it will make the ports work like they are a little longer so actual tuning might be more like 38 Hz, maybe. You will be left with 1.6 cubic feet of internal volume, which is still less than the 1.8 FI recommends. With only two 4" ports you might start getting port noise above 500 watts or so. Its not a great situation, but it might work out for you. Or you could do a sealed box, you have plenty of room to do that properly. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Blaktastic Posted January 8, 2014 Author Report Posted January 8, 2014 P.S. What ride do you have that you only have 12" of depth? I have an acura tsx but the trunk has a foot of slant that I want the box to sit on right behind the back seats. To make it deeper would work I would just prefer not have the box covering two different slopes. I looked into the some 4" aero ports and they still need to be long in order to get the frequency I want. I think I'm settled on the side port design at 13.5 High, 1.75 wide, and 25 3/4 deep. Hope this works.
Blaktastic Posted January 8, 2014 Author Report Posted January 8, 2014 P.S. What ride do you have that you only have 12" of depth? I have an acura tsx but the trunk has a foot of slant that I want the box to sit on right behind the back seats. To make it deeper would work I would just prefer not have the box covering two different slopes. I looked into the some 4" aero ports and they still need to be long in order to get the frequency I want. I think I'm settled on the side port design at 13.5 High, 1.75 wide, and 25 3/4 deep. Hope this works.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.